The City of Toronto's Environmental Monitoring & Protection (EM&P) Unit is responsible for Sewers Bylaw and Water Supply Bylaw compliance and enforcement. EM&P ensures that industrial, commercial and institutional (ICI) facilities comply with these bylaws through monitoring, sampling, testing and inspecting and educate ICIs and residents on these bylaws. Enforcement and compliance of these bylaws are required to:
- protect sewer infrastructure from obstruction and deterioration due to harmful discharges,
- protect wastewater treatment plant operations,
- protect the aquatic environment,
- ensure the health and safety of City staff and the public,
- meet legislative and regulatory requirements, and
- control biosolids quality.
The Sewers and Water Supply Bylaw Compliance and Enforcement Annual Report contains details on the many compliance and enforcement tools used by EM&P.