The Big Data Innovation team was created in 2015 with the mission of leveraging emerging transportation datasets together with existing City data to develop a new understanding of transportation issues across all modes in the City. The focus of the Big Data Innovation Team will be on conducting practical analyses of transportation data to be able to more easily measure the impact and benefits of policies and solutions. The team will be partnering with researchers and will focus on providing excellence in the communication and visualization of findings.
The Innovation Team will begin by building on some current work being conducted by Transportation Services, including:
- Partnering with McMaster University to analyze historical travel data on city expressways and streets
- Working with the TTC to closely analyze surface transit data to identify operational improvements to further improve streetcar service
- Partnering with the Cycling Unit of Transportation Services to release a report evaluating cycling travel patterns based on data collected from the City of Toronto Cycling App
- Developing a Big Data Strategy and Work Plan for Transportation Services to determine ways to make this type of information available to map out how the team will proceed, and
- Vetting products and services that might be useful in assisting the City in better decision making and investments.