The City of Toronto, the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) and the Toronto Catholic District School Board (TCDSB) are collaborating to build a multi-use community facility next to Canoe Landing Park. This new facility will include:
- Canoe Landing Community Recreation Centre
- Canoe Landing Child Care Centre
- Bishop Macdonell Catholic Elementary School, serving 550 children from kindergarten to grade eight
- Jean Lumb Public School, serving 550 children from kindergarten to grade eight.
This integrated multi-use facility is one of last city-building pieces for this developing community. The services will help ensure families living in this higher-density neighbourhood will have access to amenities that make a thriving neighbourhood.
Construction on the site began in 2017, with completion of the schools scheduled for the fall of 2019.
News & Updates
Join us at our sod turning ceremony!
- Wednesday, September 13, 2017
- 10:15 to 11 a.m.
- South-west corner of the Canoe Landing construction site, off Fort York Blvd.
- Vehicle access: from Fort York Blvd, head south into the site. View map (as JPG or on Google).
Canoe Landing is located within the Railway Lands community between Spadina Avenue and Bathurst Street. The new facility will be located at the corner of Fort York Boulevard and Brunel Court, next to Canoe Landing Park.
In 1994, Canadian National Railways (CN) transferred three City blocks to the City of Toronto for community use. The Fort York Library and affordable housing have been built and are currently in use on two of these three blocks.
The City of Toronto, Toronto District School Board (TDSB) and the Toronto Catholic District School Board (TCDSB) have entered into an agreement where the City will continue to own the land while the two school boards will hold leases.
To finance the construction of this new facility, revenue was collected from development projects in the Railway Land area.
There are approximately 20,000 people living in the Railway Lands area, which currently have limited access to local schools, child care or public recreation facilities.