Permits, Licences & Bylaws

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I submit my Freedom of Information (FOI) request?

Requests may be submitted online, in person or by mail.

  • Requests may be submitted online
  • Requests may be submitted in person to City Clerk's Office staff working at the Registry Services counters located in the following locations:
    • Scarborough Civic Centre, 3rd floor, 150 Borough Dr.
    • North York Civic Centre, Main floor, 5100 Yonge St.
    • Etobicoke Civic Centre, Main floor, 399 The West Mall
    • Toronto City Hall, Main floor, 100 Queen St. West.
  • Requests may be mailed to:

City Clerk's Office
Corporate Information Management Services
Toronto City Hall, 13th Floor West Tower
100 Queen Street West
Toronto ON M5H 2N2.

Q: How much does a request cost?

There is a mandatory $5.00 application fee that must be paid when submitting an Access Request. We require $5.00 per property address if multiple property addresses are requested. Additional fees may be charged under section 45 of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy Protection Act for photocopying and severing.

     *The $5.00 application fee cannot be waived and is non-refundable.

Q: If I submit my request by mail or online, how will I know you received the request?

If you submit a request online and provide your e-mail address a confirmation e-mail will be sent to your account. If you mail in a request, we begin to process the request the date it is received by our office. Should you wish to contact us, you may leave a voice mail message on our general inquiry line at 416-392-9684 and your call will be returned.

Q: What type of credit cards are accepted if I submit my request online?

The City accepts Visa, Master Card, and American Express for online FOI payments.

Q: Do you accept personal cheques and who is it made payable to?

Yes, we accept personal cheques and all cheques/money orders should be made payable to the "City of Toronto".

Q: How long will my request take to complete?

The City will respond to a request within 30 calendar days of receiving the request and $5.00 application fee. For requests that involve a large number of records, an extensive search, or consultation with an external third party, the time may be extended. Requesters will be advised of a time extension.

Q: Is there any way to expedite my request?

Unfortunately there is no way to expedite a request. We can make a note on your file that the records are needed urgently, however there is no guarantee a response will be made before the 30 day time frame.

Q: Is there any chance I will receive the records sooner than 30 days?

The City will respond within 30 days of receiving the request. Although some requests are completed early, there is no guarantee your request will be completed before the 30 day time frame.

Q: Will you send me the records electronically?

No. Once your records are ready, pending any other fees owing, we will mail your records or you have the option to pick them up at City Hall. If you are requesting access to your own personal information, you will have to provide proof of your identity prior to any records being released.

Q: How do I request Building Plans, Surveys and/or Drawings?

Requests for building plans/surveys/drawings are released under the Toronto Building Division's Routine Disclosure Plan. Toronto Building staff are to be contacted for further information at:

 * Please note: If you are not the property owner/property manager, you must have written consent of the property owner or manager to obtain Building Plans/Surveys/Drawings from Toronto Building directly. If you do not have consent, then you must make a FOI Request for these records.

Q: How do I request Ambulance Call Reports?

If you are the patient or the patient's legal representative, these requests are processed under the Toronto Paramedic Services' Routine Disclosure Plan. Please contact Toronto Paramedic Services Headquarters for further information at: Toronto Paramedic Services Headquarters, Professional Standards, 4330 Dufferin Street, Toronto ON M3H 5R9. Telephone number (416) 392-2222.

 *Please note: If you are not the patient or patient's legal representative, you are required to submit an FOI Request for these records.

Q. How do I request Fire Incident Reports?

Fire incident report requests are processed under the Toronto Fire Services' Routine Disclosure Plan. For more information contact Toronto Fire Services Incident Reports, RMS section, 4330 Dufferin Street, 1st floor, Toronto ON M3H 5R9. (416) 338-9338.

The following are institutions that have their own Freedom of Information offices. Please contact them directly if you would like to request records from them.


Toronto Police Service

(416) 808-7850



Toronto Transit Commission

(416) 393-3934


Toronto Community Housing Corporation

(416) 981-4231


Toronto Public Library

(416) 395-5658

Exhibition Place

(416) 263-3658

 Toronto Hydro 

(416) 542-2896