Make a Claim Against the City

If you believe the City was negligent in maintenance of City facilities, roads, trees and sewers, which caused bodily injury or damage to your property, you can file a claim via the Corporate Finance Division.

Complain About a Privacy Issue

If you believe that the City has breached your privacy, you may send a letter of complaint or email with details about the incident to Corporate Information Management Services.

Report Fraud, Wrongdoing or Waste

If you observed potential fraud, waste or wrongdoing involving City resources you can contact the Fraud and Waste Hotline Program under the Auditor General's Office.

Complain About Lobbying Activities

If you suspect a lobbyist has breached the Lobbyists’ Code of Conduct in trying to influence elected officials or City staff you can contact the Lobbyist Registrar.

Last Resort Complaints About the City

Follow the internal complaint process with the relevant City division, agency or corporation before contacting the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is the office of last resort for concerns about City services and administrative unfairness.