Study tours offer visiting delegations an in-depth look into how Toronto's government works, offers them the opportunity to adopt best practices from other jurisdictions and on-site learning opportunities that may include visits to City Council, technical visits and visits to a number of City of Toronto locations.
Please review the criteria below and submit your request using our Online Request Form
The following criteria must be met before a study tour request is considered:
- The requested day and time of the study tour is between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, excluding statutory holidays.
- City staff subject matter experts are available to participate in the program at the requested time. For example, this could include respective division staff, Strategic Protocol and External Relations staff, elected representatives and external partners.
- Meeting space is available at the requested time.
- The request is relevant to City of Toronto's areas of responsibility.
- All study tour requests must be accompanied by an official letter of request from the level of government or organization sponsoring the visit. The letter must include the following details:
- Confirmed date of delegation visit
- Where the delegation is from (city, region, country and level of government)
- Delegates names
- Delegates titles
- Leader of the delegation
- Purpose of visit
- Key areas of interest within City of Toronto and a list of specific questions for each area of interest
- Name of interpreter accompanying the delegation if language interpretation is required.
Fees For Study Tours
Effective January 2, 2013, fees will be charged for visits by international delegations booked through tour operators/ private organizations.
The fee structure (including all taxes) is:
Duration of visit Cost (before tax) Cost including HST
1-2 hour $1,000.00 $1,130.00
Half (½) day $1,500.00 $1,695.00
One (1) day $3,000.00 $3,390.00
Two (2) day $5,000.00 $5,650.00
*Please note HST may be recoverable through the Canadian Revenue Agency which administers HST returns.
- Payment must be made by certified cheque or money order a minimum of two weeks in advance of the visit and sent to Strategic Protocol and External Relations to secure the program. Cheques should be made payable to 'City of Toronto, City Treasurer'.
- An invoice will be sent with confirmation of acceptance once payment is made.
- There are no refunds for cancelled study tours however payment may be applied if tours are postponed.
- There is no fee for official government requests which have come through the respective embassy or consulate in Canada, the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM), the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) or from member Cities of the City of Toronto International Alliance Program. However, verification will be required from the embassy, consulate, FCM or CIDA, that the request is part of an official government visit.
- Any requests for exemptions from the above fees should be put in writing and addressed to the Chief of Strategic Protocol and External Relations.