Application Requirements for Business, Trades and Professions

How to apply for an Entertainment Establishment/ Nightclub licence

Inside a nIght club

In Toronto, night clubs are required to obtain a licence.

How to apply

Applicants must apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office with the following:

What you need to apply 

Who can apply Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
How to apply

Applicants can apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell, 3rd floor.

Partnerships and corporations

Applicant must provide a business address, as well as other documents depending on the business.  Documents may include articles of incorporation, corporate profiles, franchise agreements, partnership agreements and provincial name registration.  Learn more here.

Application fee * $468.37 
View all business, trades, and profession application and renewal fees.
 Preliminary Project Review

 The applicant should contact Toronto Building to request a Preliminary Project Review.  (Applications can be submitted electronically or in-person at a Toronto Building counter.)


Two pieces of government-issued identification, including:

  1. proof of work status, such as a Canadian Passport or Citizenship Card, Permanent Resident Card, Work Permit, Canadian Birth Certificate; and
  2. a valid photo ID such as a Driver's Licence, Photo Identification Card, Canadian Passport.

Note that Health Cards are not accepted.

Criminal reference checks   Applicants must provide a criminal reference check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.  Learn more here.
List of persons of authority A list of all persons of authority, including any management or supervisory staff, with their current contact information.
Insurance requirements

Applicants must provide proof of insurance in the following minimum amounts, exclusive of interest and costs:
- $2,000,000 comprehensive insurance against loss or damage resulting from bodily injury to or death of one person.
- $2,000,000 against loss or damage resulting from bodily injury or the death of two or more people in any one accident.
- $25,000 against loss or damage to property resulting from any one accident.

We are only able to accept

  • Orginal completed forms that are signed and stamped by the insurer; or
  • Faxes and emails (of completed forms that are signed and stamped by the insurer) directly from the insurer.

Our fax number is (416) 392 4515 and email address is

Minimum age to hold licence Applicants must be 18 years of age or older to apply.
Liquor licence Applicants must obtain a Liquor Licence.
Noise control plan This will include:
- The maximum volume levels for music within the establishment.
- The wattage of the music or sound-producing systems used in the establishment.
- The sound insulation methods or mechanisms used within the building.
Crowd control plan  This will include:
- A description of the manner in which people seeking entry or re-entry into the establishment, including the location of line ups, maximum number of people permitted to line up, and how lines will be monitored to ensure only the maximum number of people are waiting and that their conduct is orderly.
Litter control plan This plan will outline how the owner will ensure that all areas immediately adjacent to the establishment are clean and free of litter, refuse and other debris, as well as which contains will be installed and maintained to ensure this.
Security licensing declaration A signed Security Licensing Declaration form.
Occupant Load Certificate Contact Fire Services at 416-338-9050 to request an inspection and corresponding Occupant Load certificate.
What happens after you apply

Where other division approvals are necessary for a licence or permit to be granted, Municipal Licensing & Standards (ML&S) staff will initiate the approval process once an application is received, and applicants are not required to take any further actions at this stage.  

* If the licence or permit is granted, licensees and/or permit holders will be required to pay an annual renewal fee, listed in the Fees table. 

For complete application and operating requirements, visit Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 545, Licensing.

Applicants must also satisfy the Business Licensing Thresholds in Appendix K.