Ward 30 Toronto-Danforth
Laura Jones was appointed to City Council in March 2003 to replace Jack Layton for the remainder of his term.
Prior to becoming a City Councillor, Ms. Jones served her community in many capacities. She served as a trustee on the Toronto Board of Education from 1994-1999 and as an assistant to the trustee for the previous four years.
Ms. Jones worked with the South Riverdale Community Health Centre as a community organizer, an occupational health educator and as a community information officer. For over 15 years she was actively involved with environmental concerns resulting in the largest cleanup of contaminated soil to date in North America.
Photography and writing are ongoing interests. Ms. Jones has photographed three children's books and has published hundreds of magazines and newspaper articles, annual reports and research papers. For 13 years, she and John Phillips owned the Baldwin St. Gallery of Photography. Occasionally Laura works with Mr. Phillips through Video Events, a small video production company.
Ms. Jones chose not to run in the election, honouring a commitment, which was made during the appointment process.
- Sustainability Advocate
- Sustainability Roundtable (Co-Chair)
- Homeless and Socially Isolated Persons Advisory Committee
- Works Committee
- New and Emerging Technology Policy and Practices Advisory Committee
- New and Emerging Technology Policy and Practices Working Group
- Pesticides Phase Out Reference Group
- Gardiner Lakeshore Corridor Task Force (Co-Chair)
- Toronto Atmospheric Fund Board of Directors
- Eastview Neighbourhood Community Centre Board of Directors
- Ralph Thornton Community Centre Board of Directors
- Riverdale Hospital Board of Directors
- Danforth Business Improvement Area
- Gerrard India Bazaar Business Improvement Area
- Greektown Danforth Business Improvement Area
- Queen Broadview Village Business Improvement Area
- South Riverdale Environmental Liaison Committee
- Canada Day Committee
- "Zhong Hua Men" Chinese Archway Committee (Supporter)