Car Bike Collisions

What to do if you are involved an a collision

  • Report the collision at the scene. Have someone call "911" or call the police non-emergency number (416-808-2222). Wait for police to arrive.
  • Ask witnesses to identify themselves.
  • If a motor vehicle is involved, record the driver's name, phone number, insurance policy details, a description of the vehicle and the license plate number.
  • If you are injured at all, see a doctor. Ask for a letter describing your condition.
  • If your bike needs repair, get a written estimate from a bike shop.
  • If you have insurance, speak to your broker. If not, call the insurance company of the driver(s) involved in the collision.
  • If you have no access to insurance, contact the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund at 1-800-268-7188.
  • Advocacy for Respect for Cyclists (ARC) can refer you to a lawyer for advice on making an insurance claim. E-mail: or phone: 416-604-5171.

Do not leave the scene of a collision without talking to the other driver, pedestrian or cyclist involved. 'Hit and run' applies to cyclists as well as drivers. If you choose not to report the collision at the scene, you can file a report at the nearest Collision Reporting Centre within 24 hours or call 416-808-2222 for further information on how to report your collision. Cyclists do not have go to a Collision Reporting Centre. Take responsibility for assisting other collision victims by helping them follow the steps above.