It’s time for winter maintenance and preparation. At the City, we’re continually updating and maintaining Toronto’s complex underground pipes, sewers and catch basins. There are also steps you should take to help get your home ready for the wintry weather. Here are a few:
- Burst water pipes cause damage and waste water; turn off the outdoor water supply and drain taps before the first freeze.
- Seal window wells and fix cracks in basement walls which may cause leaks.
- Clear eavestroughs and downspouts of debris.
- Insulate the pipes most susceptible to freezing especially near outer walls, in crawl spaces, and in the attic.
- Keep rain and snow away from the foundation.
- Disconnect your downspouts from the sewer system.