Licences, Permits and Exemptions

Steps to take before starting renovations or hiring a contractor

As per Municipal Code Chapter 545, contractors in various trades are required to have a licence, which they can obtain after demonstrating certain qualifications and/or passing certain examinations. Subcontractors working for a general contractor must also have a licence.

Licensed trades include:

  • Building Renovators such as: roofers, carpenters, bricklayers, concrete workers, waterproofing, drywalling
  • Drain contractors
  • Plumbing contractors
  • Heating contractors
  • Insulation installers


Before you start building renovations, we suggest the following steps to help ensure the best results:

  1. Check with the Toronto Building to see if a permit is required.
  2. Obtain at least three quotes from licensed contractors and obtain references from other customers.(Our office can verify if they are licensed.)
  3. Enter into a written contract, ensuring that the contract includes:


  • the name of the company, the business address, phone number, a completion date, and a Toronto Licence number;
  • the full price and payment schedule as per the Construction Lien Act; and
  • all work to be done is clearly stated, including cleanup.


If you are planning to hire a contractor to do repairs, ask the contractor for their Toronto licence number and verify this number online or contact us to do so.