It is the responsibility of each City of Toronto funded community organization to address complaints made about their own services and activities.
How to make a complaint
- Request the complaint policy at the community organization's location.
- If you do not understand the steps outlined in the complaint policy, ask the organization's staff to explain them or call them directly and ask for information on how to make a complaint.
- You may also call, email or write directly to the community organization's Executive Director or Board Chairperson.
- If you have complained to an organization about a service and the complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction, you may make a complaint to the City funding program that supports the funding activity.
- The City division responsible for the grant will assist you to ensure that your complaint is responded to by the community organization. See the Chart below for City of Toronto contact information.
Submitting a complaint to the City of Toronto
When you make a complaint, please provide the following information:
- Complainant name
- Complainant contact information (address, email or phone)
- The name of the organization and service about which a complaint is being made
- Details of the complaint
- Any actions the complainant wishes the City of Toronto to take
If you need information about which City funding program supports a particular community organization, you can consult the list "Consolidated Allocations by Program:.
Please refer to the chart below to understand who to contact about a specific funding program. If you need help determining which division to contact, please contact:
Social Development, Finance and Administration
City of Toronto funding programs listed by division
City of Toronto funding programs listed by Division
|Complaint protocols by Division|
Social Development, Finance and Administration (SDFA) funding programs:
|SDFA Complaint Policy and Procedures|
Economic Development and Culture (EDC) funding programs:
|EDC Complaints and Feedback|
Public Health funding programs:
|Public Health Complaints and Feedback|
Shelter, Support and Housing funding program:
|SSHA Complaints and Feedback|
Toronto Arts Council funded program:
|Toronto Arts Council website|
Toronto Atmospheric Fund (TAF) funded programs:
City Planning funding program:
|City Planning Division Complaint Procedure|
Receipt of complaint and timelines
Complaints will be handled according to the timelines of the responsible division. All complaints are documented and addressed as quickly as possible.
Collection and understanding of complaint information
There will be a written record made of all complaints through the complaint policy and procedures of the City division responsible for the funding program.
The information gathered will include:
- Name of complainant
- Date and details of the complaint
- Communication with the complainant, City staff and other parties.
The initial information will be taken and recorded by the division's Complaint Contact as identified in the chart. As the resolution of the complaint occurs, additional information will be added to the record.
Your complaint will be handled in a confidential manner. However, when the complaint is investigated, you may be indirectly identified as a result of the investigation.