Toronto Building

Toronto Building

Toronto Building ensures that the buildings where we live, work and play are safe. Learn how to apply for a permit for your next building or home renovation project; read the latest news about building safety and regulations in Toronto; or find out more about an existing application.

Toronto Building Updates


Zoning Certificate 01.JPG

Apply for a Preliminary Zoning Review

Learn how to apply for one of three Preliminary Zoning Review Programs to determine what Zoning or Applicable Law requirements apply to your project before you make an application for a building permit.


Request a Building Inspection Online

Learn how to use request or reschedule a building inspection online, using your computer or smartphone.

You may also request an inspection from your phone using our automated Telepermit system.

Routine Disclosure.jpg

Request Building Records

Drawing records of prior permit applications to Toronto Building may be requested as an Application for Routine Disclosure. Learn how to make a disclosure application or how to request other Toronto Building records.


When do I need a building permit?

Under the Building Code Act, a building permit is required for the construction and/or demolition of a new building, an addition, or material alteration of any building or structure. The following is a list of common projects that require or do not require a building permit:

Toronto Building Fee Schedule

Calculated based on the work you propose in your application, the fee schedule lists the fee rate charged for each type of work proposed, and explains your payment options.

Zoning Information

Information on the City of Toronto harmonized zoning bylaw and former zoning bylaws.

Residential Infill Construction

Learn about the actions the City is taking to minimize the negative impacts of residential infill construction in your neighbourhood.

Other Permits and Approvals


Landscaping and Right-of-Way Permits

If you are a homeowner or contractor planning a renovation, demolition, construction or landscaping project, you may need to apply for special permits if any part of the work takes place within the public right of way.


Temporary Sign Permits

Learn about applying for a temporary sign permit. Temporary Signs include Portable Signs (including A-Frame Signs), Mobile Signs, Ground-Mounted Signs, and New Development Signs.


Tree Permits

A permit is required to remove, cut down or in any other way injure a tree with a diameter of 30 cm (12 inches or the approximate thickness of a telephone pole) or more on private property.