Human Services


Rent-geared-to-income (RGI) housing is subsidized housing. The rent is based directly on the tenant's income, usually 30 per cent of the gross monthly household income. If you receive social assistance, the rent charges are based on the rent benefit set by the Ontario government, rather than 30 per cent of the gross monthly income. RGI housing subsidies are most often available in publicly-owned social housing, but are also available in co-operative, non profit and private housing.

  • All household members must have legal status in Canada for all household members.  For a list of documents that you can provide, click here
  • One household member must be 16 years of age or older
  • If one of your household members owes money to a subsidized housing provider in Ontario, you must be able to show a repayment schedule

Special Priority

The selection of applicants from the waiting list is chronological - when a housing provider has a vacancy, they contact the next applicant on their waiting list.

The exception to the first-come, first-served waiting list system is for Special Priority applicants who are housed on a priority basis.

The City of Toronto rules give priority to the following categories:

In addition, the City of Toronto's local access rules ensure that individuals who are disadvantaged by a chronological system under the following categories will fill one in seven rent-geared-to-income vacancies:

  • homeless
  • separated families
  • newcomers who are homeless
  • youth who are 16 or 17 years old at the time of applying

How do I add or remove building choices on my application?
There are three ways you can update your building choices:

  1. update your building choices by logging in to your application online if you have your application number and password
  2. use the housing listings to choose where you want to live, then call 416-981-6111 to use the automated telephone system (with your application number and P.I.N.) or speak to a representative
  3. complete this form and submit it to Housing Connections

How do I add a family member to my application?
Complete this form and submit it to Housing Connections.  You will need to provide legal status in Canada documents for each family member you add to your application.

What if my contact information, income or family changes while I'm on the waiting list?
You need to keep in touch with Housing Connections at least once a year to keep your application active, but always let Housing Connections know right away when there is a change to your application. Click here for ways to contact us.

If you are living in a subsidized/RGI unit, you must inform your housing provider about changes to your situation that might affect your subsidy. These include:

  • change in income
  • change in assets
  • change in who lives with you
  • change in family status
  • change in citizenship/immigration status
  • absence from your unit, or
  • any other change that might affect your subsidy or housing eligibility.

You also must complete an Annual Review of your income and assets to maintain your eligibility. For more information on requirements for maintaining a subsidy, see Chapter 3 of the RGI Administration Manual.

If a household does not meet RGI requirements, the household could lose their RGI assistance. If you receive a Notice of Decision, Loss of Eligibility for RGI Assistance, contact your housing provider right away. You may be able to resolve the issue before the effective date (the day your rent will change to market rent). If you can resolve the issue, your housing provider will send you a notice that your RGI assistance has been restored.

When you get a Notice of Decision, Loss of Eligibility for RGI Assistance, you can request a review of the decision. If you live in a non-profit or co-operative and have not been able to work things out with your housing provider, send this form to the City within 30 calendar days. Your housing provider must include the Request for Review Form with their notice