Licences, Permits and Exemptions

How to apply for a business, trades or profession licence or permit

How to apply

If you require a Toronto licence or permit for your business, trade or profession, in most cases, you must apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office. To view the specific application requirements for your licence or permit, view the general application requirements here of the specific application requirements for some of our most popular licences.  (For business licence application requirements, scroll down).

The Licence & Permit Issuing Office

East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell Avenue, 3rd Floor  

Located at Coxwell and Mortimer.  From the TTC Coxwell subway station, you can walk north on Coxwell Ave. or take the 70A O'Connor bus towards Eglinton Ave. 


Information line: 416-392-6700

Fax: 416-392-4515


General inquiries

For businesses which operate on the street:

Hours of operation:

Open Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., except on statutory holidays. 

Fees and payment

Fees for licences and permits vary and are listed online.  Payment can be made online, or at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office by debit or credit card, cash or cheque. 

What you need to apply 

Documents required for all applications 

  • An original Canada-wide Criminal Background Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application (except for Buskers); third party checks and copies will not be accepted.
  • For businesses with a physical location, a lease agreement or letter of cancellation from the previous owner with their licence
  • Two pieces of government-issued identification, including:
    • Proof of work status, such as a Canadian Passport or Citizenship Card, Permanent Resident Card, Work Permit, Canadian Birth Certificate.
    • A valid photo ID such as a Driver's Licence, Photo Identification Card, Canadian Passport.
    • Note that Health Cards are not accepted.


  • First and last names must match on all forms of identification.

Additional required documents  

Additional documentation may be required depending on the licence or permit, such as:

  • Letter of employment
  • Certificate of insurance ($1 to 2 million as outlined in the bylaw)
  • Certificate of qualification (C of Q)
  • Driving record abstract check
  • Food handler's certificate
  • Holistic practitioner membership letter/certificate
  • Medical certificate
  • Photo of vehicle/trailer/cart
  • Plan/sketch of cart or trailer
  • Provincial driving instructor's licence
  • Toronto Public Health inspection report
  • TSSA certificate (Technical Standards and Safety Authority)
  • Vehicle storage location letter
  • Vehicle ownership

Individual, Partnership and Corporation Applications


If you are applying as an individual, please provide:

  • a business location/address; and
  • a copy of provincial business name registration or franchise agreement.


If you applying as part of a partnership, please provide:

  • a business location/address; 
  • a copy of provincial business name registration or franchise agreement;
  • a(Notarized) controlling interest form (provided at time of application)**; and
  • a partnership agreement, if available.


If the president, director or officer of the corporation is unable to attend in person, a designate may apply if they have an original letter of signing authority on the corporation letterhead, signed by the designating director/officer, provide two pieces of identification (outlined above), as well as two pieces of identification for each officer/director of the corporation. If original identification is not available, notarized photocopies are required.  Corporations must also provide: 

  • a business location/address;
  • copy of articles of incorporation;
  • a copy of Provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement;
  • a (notarized) annual liability (LTD) form – provided to client at time of application; 
  • a corporate profile report if there has been a change in current officers/directors; and
  • a (Notarized**) controlling interest form, if the shares in the company are 50/50 (provided at time of application).


**Documents can be notarized at 850 Coxwell Avenue, 3rd Floor.

Opening a new business? You may need zoning clearance first.

Effective December 1, 2015, if you're applying for a business licence in a number of categories, you require a Preliminary Review for Business Licence (LPR) from Toronto Building first, to make sure that your business complies with zoning bylaws.

Which businesses require a Preliminary Review for Business Licence (LPR)?

  • Billiard Hall
  • Commercial parking lot
  • Entertainment establishment and nightclub
  • Holistic centre
  • Place of amusement (go karts, mini golf)
  • Public garage (gas station, vehicle repair or rental)
  • Restaurant

How do I apply for a LPR?

You can submit an application online or visit a Toronto Building customer service counter.

What will I need to apply?

Application details can be found here.

Is there a fee to apply?

Yes, both for the LPR and business licence application. These fees are non-refundable and are due at the time of submission.

Once I have a LPR, how do I apply for a business licence?

You will be issued a Notice of Zoning Compliance from Toronto Building, which can then be submitted along with your business licence application

The 2015 fee for LPR is $219.97. View other ML&S business licence & permit fees.

Other Division Approvals

Where other division approvals are necessary for a licence or permit to be granted, ML&S staff will initiate the approval process once an application is received. 

Specific Application Requirements

The specific application requirements for many licences and permits issued by ML&S are listed here; please contact us with any questions.