Rooming Houses, Group Homes and Single-Unit Housing

Rooming Houses in Toronto

Rooming houses can include a house, apartment or building where you share a kitchen and/or washroom with four or more people that pay individual rent 

Current rules and regulations

Rooming houses are only permitted in the former cities of York, Toronto and Etobicoke. Rooming houses that operate in Toronto and Etobicoke must be licensed.

Former Municipalities Permitted Licence Required
Etobicoke yes yes
Toronto yes yes
York yes no
East York no no
North York no no
Scarborough no no

How to apply for a rooming house licence:

Etobicoke (former city)

Contact Toronto Building to confirm zoning. 

Etobicoke York District, 2 Civic Centre Court, 1st Floor, 416-394-8002

Once zoning has been confirmed, you can apply for a rooming house licence. Applications can be picked up at the Toronto Public Health office at Etobicoke Civic Centre, 399 The West Mall, 4th Floor, North Building

Toronto (former City)

Contact Shanta Persaud at or 416-392-7594