Application Requirements for Business, Trades and Professions

How to apply for a Building Cleaner licence

In Toronto, a person who cleans/restores the exterior of buildings/structures using pressurized air, water, steam, sand or other abrasives is required to obtain a licence.

How to apply

Applicants must apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office with the following:

What you need to apply 

Who can apply Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
How to apply

Applicants can apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell, 3rd floor.

Partnerships and corporations (not applicable to individuals) Applicants must provide a business address, as well as other documents depending on the business.  Documents may include articles of incorporation, corporate profiles, franchise agreements, partnership agreements and provincial name registration. 

Learn more here.

Application fee * $390.18
View all business, trades, and profession application and renewal fees.

Two pieces of government-issued identification, including:

  1. proof of work status, such as a Canadian Passport or Citizenship Card, Permanent Resident Card, Work Permit, Canadian Birth Certificate; and
  2. a valid photo ID such as a Driver's Licence, Photo Identification Card, Canadian Passport.

Note that Health Cards are not accepted.

Criminal reference checks   Applicants must provide a criminal reference check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.  Learn more here.
Insurance requirements

Applicants must demonstrate they have at least $1,000,000 insurance, exclusive of interest and costs, against liability from bodily injury to or the death of one or more persons and loss of or damage to property.

We are only able to accept

  • Orginal completed forms that are signed and stamped by the insurer; or
  • Faxes and emails (of completed forms that are signed and stamped by the insurer) directly from the insurer.

Our fax number is (416) 392 4515 and email address is

Health and Safety Declaration

Applicants must complete a declaration advising they have working knowledge of the Ontario Health & Safety Act with respect to industrial regulations.   

What happens after you apply

Where other division approvals are necessary for a licence or permit to be granted, Municipal Licensing & Standards (ML&S) staff will initiate the approval process once an application is received, and applicants are not required to take any further actions at this stage.  

See the table below for the list of approvals ML&S will seek.

Who City staff will contactWhat they will request
Toronto Building

Zoning approval is required for the majority of new business licence applications. For those businesses in which zoning approval is required, ML&S staff will initiate the approval process after the application is received. Learn more about zoning.

Zoning approval is not required if an applicant it taking over an existing business that has a valid business licence or has expired less than one year prior. A signed lease agreement or proof or property ownership is required.

* If the licence or permit is granted, licensees and/or permit holders will be required to pay an annual renewal fee, listed in the Fees table.

For complete application and operating requirements, visit Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 545, Licensing.

Applicants are subject to the Business Licensing Thresholds in Appendix K.