Application Requirements for Business, Trades and Professions

How to apply for a Car Wash, Gas Station or Public Garage licence

In Toronto, a Public Garage licence is required to operate a car rental lot, gas station, car repair shop, car wash, or public garage.

 As of September 1, 2015, businesses which operate Commercial Parking lots are required to obtain a Commercial Parking lot licence, (rather than a Public Garage licence which was the case in the past.) Learn more here

How to apply

Applicants must apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office with the following:

What you need to apply 

Who can apply  Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
How to apply

Applicants can apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell, 3rd floor.

Partnerships and corporations

Applicant must provide a business address, as well as other documents depending on the business. Documents may include articles of incorporation, corporate profiles, franchise agreements, partnership agreements and provincial name registration. Learn more here.

Preliminary Project Review

The applicant should contact Toronto Building to request a Preliminary Project Review.  (Applications can be submitted electronically or in-person at a Toronto Building counter.)

Application fee *


View all business, trades, and profession application and renewal fees.


Two pieces of government-issued identification, including:

  1. proof of work status, such as a Canadian Passport or Citizenship Card, Permanent Resident Card, Work Permit, Canadian Birth Certificate; and
  2. a valid photo ID such as a Driver's Licence, Photo Identification Card, Canadian Passport.

Note that Health Cards are not accepted.

Criminal reference checks   Applicants must provide a criminal reference check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.  Learn more here.
Ministry of the Environment - Repair and body shops only Public garages which perform spray painting, body and other vehicular repair or release other air pollutants or transport certain types of waste, provincial registration with the Ministry of the Environment.  Learn more.
What happens after you apply

Where other division approvals are necessary for a licence or permit to be granted, Municipal Licensing & Standards (ML&S) staff will initiate the approval process once an application is received, and applicants are not required to take any further actions at this stage.  

* If the licence or permit is granted, licensees and/or permit holders will be required to pay an annual renewal fee, listed in the Fees table. 

For complete application and operating requirements, visit Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 545, Licensing.

Applicants are subject to the Business Licensing Thresholds in Appendix K.