City of Toronto

When you don’t know where to turn - 211

Do you need help and don’t know where to turn? If it’s for a City of Toronto service such as road repairs you should call 311. If it’s an emergency, of course you should call 911.

But what if your need doesn’t fit into those categories? Then you should call 211.

Perhaps you’re hungry, having trouble with your landlord, are being abused, can’t pay your utility bill or have some other issue or need. Are you new to Canada or need medical assistance or maybe some legal advice?

When you don’t know where to turn, just call 211 any time of day or night. You’ll be connected to a live Information and Referral Specialist who will listen carefully and come up with the best available services to answer your needs.

Many people call 211 not only for themselves, but for loved ones or friends.

Just give us a try, even if you’re not 100% sure 211 is the right helpline for you. Remember, it’s confidential, free and available in up to 170 languages.

Help is also available at

Launched in 2002, Toronto’s 211 became the first 211 helpline in Canada, providing public access to community and social services in one easy step. Last year we answered 338,000 calls for help and served over 733,000 visitors to our website.

Back to: City of Toronto