Municipal Licensing & Standards

Bylaws and Enforcement

The bylaw enforcement and investigations services units inspect and investigate private and public property, as well as municipally licensed and permitted businesses and premises to ensure compliance with Acts, bylaws and regulations. This helps to maintain a high level of public safety, neighbourhood integrity and cleanliness, and consumer protection.

Bylaws: View City of Toronto bylaws

Property standards investigation follow-up: You can follow up by telephone or email to the area you originally contacted, as well as online here.

Areas regulated by ML&S

ExpandAbandoned Refrigerators and Appliances

abandoned refrigerator

Abandoned appliances such as refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, dryers present a public safety concern, especially for young children who could become trapped inside.

Under Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 659, doors and locks of abandoned appliances must be removed.

Appliances that are outside on private property and are being used are not considered abandoned.

Contact us to report an abandoned freezer, refrigerator, washing machine or other large appliance that does not have its doors removed.

Frequently Asked Questions



Someone left an appliance sitting at the curb in front of XX street.  The doors are still attached. Contact 311.  ML&S will respond before the end of the day to investigate and secure the appliance if necessary.

I saw a refrigerator dumped at the intersection of XX street on the boulevard.

Contact 311.  ML&S will respond the same day if the doors are still attached.  If the doors have been removed, ML&S will investigate following standard investigative procedures.

There is a fridge/freezer/dishwasher/oven with its door(s) removed sitting at the curb for garbage pick-up.  Why didn't the City pick it up?

Contact 311 to determine the reason – too close to garbage bin, etc.  Separate collection crews are used on garbage collection days.

My neighbour left his refrigerator in his back yard.  He uses it for his backyard bbqs.  I am afraid a child may get stuck in it.

We will not investigate this.  The refrigerator is being used properly so ML&S will not get involved.

ExpandApartment Buildings

RentSafeTO: Apartment Building Standards Program

Register your building online and learn more about the program. Learn about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

Read More

ExpandClothing Drop Box Permit

Image of a clothing drop box permit

Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 395, Clothing Drop Boxes,  requires that all clothing drop boxes placed on private property display a permit.

  • All clothing box operators require location permits for each box.
  • Only two drop boxes will be allowed per municipal address.
  • All clothing drop box operators, including charitable organizations, must display the permit sticker (below).

The Clothing Drop Box By-law ensures that the public is aware of where used clothing donations are going, creates a registry of clothing box owners and deters litter and unsightly views for residents.

How to apply

Applicants must apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office with the following:

What you need to apply

Who can apply Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
How to apply

Applicants can apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell, 3rd floor.

Partnerships and corporations (not applicable to individuals)

Applicant must provide a business address, as well as other documents depending on the business. Documents may include articles of incorporation, corporate profiles, franchise agreements, partnership agreements and provincial name registration. 

Application fee *

$529.27 application fee + location permits for each box at a cost of $109.25

(Each year, the licensee must pay a renewal fee and a location permit fee for each box.)

View all business, trades, and profession application and renewal fees.

See possible additional fees below.**


Two pieces of government-issued identification, including:

  1. proof of work status, such as a Canadian Passport or Citizenship Card, Permanent Resident Card, Work Permit, Canadian Birth Certificate; and
  2. a valid photo ID such as a Driver's Licence, Photo Identification Card, Canadian Passport.

Note that Health Cards are not accepted.

Criminal reference checks Applicants must provide a criminal reference check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application. Learn more here.
Clothing drop box locations

Municipal address(es) of site where the clothing drop box(es) will be located.

Site plans

Site plans or surveys, identifying the location of the clothing drop box on the premises.

Letter from property owner A letter from the property owner or management company permitting the clothing drop box be erected, displayed, located or placed on the premises.

Applicant must sign a declaration that the clothing drop box owner has not been convicted more than three times for violations under this bylaw, and has not been charged more than three times under any section of this Chapter for which the proceedings have not been finally disposed of.

Charities, religious institutions or non-profit organizations

Applicants must advise if they are a charity, religious institution or non-profit organization.  Charities must provide their registration number.

What happens after you apply

* If the licence or permit is granted, licensees and/or permit holders will be required to pay an annual renewal fee as well as annual location fees for each box, as described in the table above.  See the Fees table.

For complete application and operating requirements, visit Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 545, Licensing.

Applicants must also satisfy the Business Licensing Thresholds in Appendix K. 

** Other Clothing Drop Box Fees

As mentioned above, all clothing box operators will require location permits for each box at the cost listed above per year. Other fees associated with clothing drop boxes include:

Removal fee of an illegal clothing drop box $100
Retrieval of illegal clothing drop box $200
Storage of illegal clothing drop box $15 per day
Disposal fee for illegal clothing drop box $80 per disposal
If a clothing box does not have an easily visible permit sticker:
  • A notice will be posted on non-stickered boxes on municipal or private property. 
  • If the box is not removed in seven days, the City will remove it at a cost of $300, plus $15 per day storage fee, charged to the property owner.

Clothing drop boxes placed on the City’s right-of-way (streets, boulevards, sidewalks) without permission will be removed immediately. The City can revoke a permit if the property owner/operator has unpaid fines. 

ExpandDogs Off-Leash

View Dogs Off Leash 101 

In Toronto, according to Municipal Codes Chapter 349, Animals and 608, Parks all dogs must be kept on a leash whenever they are on any property other than their owner’s - unless they are in designated dogs off-leash areas. There are social benefits to dogs (and their owners!) having space to run free within parks and other green spaces.

My dog is well-behaved. Why can’t I let him off his leash in a park?

Dogs are welcome in parks, but must be a on a leash unless in a designated off-leash area. Parks are shared spaces and everyone needs to be responsible and respectful of each other. Owners are responsible for their dog and any injuries or damage caused by any dog in their care. Owners and dog walkers are responsible for ensuring that their dogs are under control.

What do I need to know to use the off-leash areas?

In order to use the designated off-leash areas, dog owners must have vaccinated and, licensed their dogs. Dogs that are aggressive to humans, dogs with a history of biting, and other types of animals are not permitted in the off-leash areas. Dog training/electronic devices are not allowed.

I need a licence for my dog. Where can I get one?

Dog licences are $25 ($12.50 for seniors) for spayed or neutered dogs and can be obtained online, by calling 416-338-PETS (7387), by mail or in person at one of four animal shelters. Go to


Who enforces the rules regarding dogs off-leash?

Municipal Standards Officers, Animal Care and Control Officers and members of the Toronto Police Service have the authority to enforce rules around dogs.

Can I be fined for letting my dog off-leash in an area where they shouldn’t be?

A fine of up to $5,000 can be issued for allowing a dog to run off-leash except in a posted designated leash-free area.

Where can I find out where an off-leash park is in my area?

Off-leash dog parks are listed at or by calling 311.

Code of Conduct for Off-Leash Areas

  • Follow all signs and boundaries.
  • Keep your dog on a leash at all times except when in the designated off-leash area.
  • Your dog must have a visible municipal licence.
  • Keep your dogs in the off-leash area so that they don’t trample or endanger plant material and other park resources.
  • Do not let your dog chase wildlife.
  • Poop and scoop your dog’s waste and place in receptacle or take home for disposal.
  • Keep dogs in sight and under control at all times.
  • Do not leave dogs unattended while in off-leash area.
  • Repair holes dug by the dogs under your control.

Are there some dogs that are not allowed in the off-leash area?

  • Dogs excluded from off-leash areas include:
  • Dogs that are pitbulls as defined by the Dogs Owner’s Liability Act
  • Female dogs in heat
  • Any dog that has been issued a muzzle order by the City of Toronto.

ExpandFireworks Issues and Permits

Fireworks displays on private property are allowed on Victoria Day and Canada Day without a permit.

If you wish to sell fireworks in Toronto, you must submit an application and applicable fee in accordance with City of Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 466, Article X, Section 446-13 to:

How to apply

Applicants must apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office. To apply, applicants must pay the appropriate application fee and completed Temporary Fireworks Permit Application Form

Make a Complaint

Report illegal sale or possible misuse of fireworks, such as using fireworks on a day other than Canada Day or Victoria Day, and/or without a permit.

Within Toronto:     311

Outside Toronto:  416-392-CITY (2489)

TTY customers: 416-338-0TTY (0889)

Fax:   416-338-0685




ExpandGarage Sales

garage sale at private house

Property owner can have two garage sales each year. One garage sale can last two consecutive days. Once the sale is over, all signs advertising the sale must be removed.

There is no permit or licence required.

Make a complaint

Report a household that has had more than two garage sales per year.

Garage sales online self-service request

Within Toronto:     311

Outside Toronto:  416-392-CITY (2489)

TTY customers: 416-338-0TTY (0889)

Fax:   416-338-0685




Clean-up of graffiti on a private property is the owner's responsibility. There are two bylaws that regulate graffiti on private property:

Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 629
Property Standards and Chapter 485 - Graffiti


When City staff enforce compliance with the graffiti bylaw they try to provide owners with as many ways as possible to comply.

A bylaw officer will educate the property owner or occupant about the issue and require graffiti removal. The officer may issue written notice. The owner is given a fixed time period that they have to comply (remove the graffiti), e.g. 72 hours. If the owner provides justifiable reason for not complying within an appropriate period of time (cannot paint when it is raining, freezing, etc.), the bylaw officer will adjust the time period.

Note: If the property owner does not comply within the specified compliance period, the City will remove the graffiti and the cost will be added to the owner's taxes.

Graffiti Definition

Graffiti is defined as one or more letters, symbols, figures, etchings, scratches, inscriptions, stains or other markings that disfigure or deface a structure or thing. It does not include an art mural. (Municipal Code, Chapter 485). 

Graffiti vandals use a variety of materials such as spray paint, crayons and permanent ink to deface property. Hobby knives and razor blades are used to cause permanent damage to glass and other surfaces.

Here are some tips to help keep graffiti off of your property:

  • Increase lighting and visibility in vulnerable areas.
  • If graffiti occurs, the quick removal is recognized as the most effective prevention of further acts of vandalism.
  • Installation security cameras
  • Re-establishment of neighborhood watch groups
  • Restriction of access to buildings and structures, i.e. fences; using protective coatings;
  • Planting climbing vines or thorny plants along building walls; and use of murals.

Removal of Graffiti

Without knowing the type of surface, its state of repair, the type of paint or other marker used, etc., it is not possible to recommend a cleaning material or process. Any advice offered that led to property damage might expose the City to legal action. Consult graffiti specialists by searching the internet or using your local business directroy, under the heading "Building Maintenance and Cleaning Exterior", for advice or assistance. 

Questions and Answers

Q: What do I do if I see graffiti vandalism on my property?

A If you find graffiti on your property, it is your responsibility to clean it up. You can either do it yourself or you can hire someone to do it for you.

Q: Can I get rid of graffiti myself?

A: Yes. The most important step to take in order to keep graffiti off of your property is to be vigilant and remove graffiti as soon as possible. See our tips for preventing and removing graffiti. The faster graffiti is removed the less likely it will reoccur. The longer graffiti stays on your property the harder it becomes to remove and the more additional graffiti it attracts.

Q: What I do if I see graffiti vandalism on another property in the City?

A: Call 311 to report the location of the graffiti or report it on line. City staff will have someone respond to the call. You can report anonymously if you wish.

Q: What is the City doing to eliminate graffiti vandalism?

A: City staff will remove graffiti on City-owned buildings, overpasses, bridges and public parks. Staff will strive to remove any hate or gang-related graffiti within a 24-hour period and all other graffiti within a 72-hour period. 

Q: Can I commission an artist to create graffiti art or a mural on my property?

A: Yes, murals and graffiti art are an effective way of deterring graffiti vandalism. The new Graffiti By-Law has been amended to reflect the new Graffiti Management Plan and to include exemptions for Graffiti art which is a legal and acceptable form of street art and is differentiated from "tagging" which is generally characterized by writing and with the act of vandalism. StreetARToronto has resources available to assist you.

ExpandHoliday Shopping

General Information

The City of Toronto Act exempts Toronto from the Retail Business Holidays Act. However, Council passed a bylaw, Chapter 510, Holiday Shopping By-law, that outlines what days retail businesses in Toronto must close (except those in designated tourist areas).

These are: New Year's Day, Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and Family Day.

The bylaw states that retail businesses cannot:

A. Sell or offer any goods or services for sale on a holiday.

B. Admit members of the public to the retail business establishment on a holiday.

Note: When July 1 falls on a Sunday, July 2 is the legal holiday for Canada Day.


The following retailers cam remain open on holidays:

  • Small retail establishments less than 2,400 square feet;
  • Pharmacies less than 7,500 square feet;
  • Art galleries, nurseries; gas stations; liquor licensed businesses;
  • Retail businesses for education; recreation and amusement;
  • Business in relation to prepared meals; living accommodations; laundromats; vehicle or boat rentals;

Tourist area exemptions

Businesses located in the following areas are also exempt from the By-law:

  • Queens Quay West;
  • Toronto Eaton Centre and the Hudson's Bay Company (Yonge & Queen location);
  • Downtown Yonge Street Business Improvement Area;
  • Bloor-Yorkville Business Improvement Area; and
  • Distillery Historic District.

·         Chapter 510, Holiday Shopping By-law:

ExpandLitter, Illegal Dumping of Garbage and Waste Collection

abandoned furniture

Report littering, illegal dumping or a problem with waste collection on private and public property, including parks.  

What is illegal dumping?
Illegal dumping refers to bags (including grocery bags) or large quantities of garbage or items being deposited onto public or private property without the owner’s consent.

My garbage bin is full. Is it against a City bylaw to put my garbage in a park garbage container?

Yes. If you have more garbage than will fit in your bin, you can leave extra garbage bags beside your garbage container for collection, as long as a City-issued tag is attached. Garbage bag tags can be purchased at Canadian Tire stores.

What is the fine for illegal dumping?
The fine is $365, as per the City of Toronto Parks Bylaw 548.


Expand "Not Enough Heat" in building/Other vital services

Vital services include fuel, hydro, gas, hot and cold water.

Heating (Minimum temperatures)


A landlord is responsible for providing heat to a residential dwelling that is rented or leased, to a minimum air temperature of 21 degrees Celsius from September 15 to June 1.

If you have concerns about the heating in your rental unit, please speak to your landlord or property manager.  If this issue is not resolved in a timely manner, contact 311.


If the condo unit is owner-occupied, the City will NOT investigate a complaint about the condition of that unit.

If you are a tenant in a condo unit, contact 311.

Frequently Asked Questions Answers
There is no water/heat/electricity in my apartment.

Contact 311. The landord can only turn off heat/water etc. when absolutely necessary to repair a building or rental unit.

ML&S will investigate and take appropriate enforcement action within 24 hours.

My landlord hasn't turned on the heat/air in my building yet. My apartment is really cold/hot.

Due to considerable fluctuations of temperatures in May and early September each year, it is difficult to require landlords to provide the right level of indoor heating and cooling at all times.  Speak to your landlord; they may be able to provide temporary space heaters/fans or offer a cooling centre in the building.

From September 15-June 1, landlords are required to maintain all areas of a rental dwelling unit at a minimum temperature of 21 degrees Celsius.  Contact 311; ML&S will make initial contact and investigate all low heat complaints within 24 hours, 7 days a week.

It's really hot outside, and my landlord won't turn off the heat.

The city will not investigate from September 15 – June 1 as city Bylaws require that landlords provide a minimum temperature of 21 degrees Celsius during this time.

Many heating and cooling industry members report that the heating and cooling systems in large residential complexes cannot be turned on and off easily. These systems require a set date at which they are changed over, and cannot be easily adjusted to suit variable weather throughout the month.

If the complaint is received after June 1, and before September 15, contact 311. ML&S will investigate and take appropriate action.

The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 (RTA) and the City's Heating Bylaw contradict as to when landlords should provide heat?  Which one applies to my landlord?

None.  The RTA enables municipalities to enact bylaws regulating vital services and to establish standards for the provision of adequate and suitable vital services.

From September 15-June 1, landlords are required to maintain all areas of a rental dwelling unit at a minimum temperature of 21 degrees Celsius.  Contact 311; ML&S will make initial contact and investigate all low heat complaints within 24 hours, 7 days a week.

My building does not have air conditioning; my landlord has installed window safety devices which prevents me from opening the window more than 4 inches.  I don't have kids; none visit me.  He tells me it's the law, and I can't remove it.

None. Window safety devices are required to be installed on all windows that are more than two metres (six feet six inches) above ground, and do not lead to a balcony.

Ask your landlord about offering a cooling centre in the building, obtain a fan if possible; seek accommodation with friends or family during heat alert days.

Contact 311 if your landlord has refused to repair or install window safety devices on any windows within your dwelling unit that are 2 metres (6 feet 6 inches) above ground. ML&S will investigate and take any necessary enforcement action.

ExpandService Dogs - Refusal of Service

service dog on leash

All businesses licensed by the City of Toronto must provide service to individuals with guide dog or service animals, as per the City's Licensing Bylaw, Chapter 545-5 and Chapter 546-12 (specific to Taxi, Limo and Private Transportation Company).

If a person is refused service, they should contact Licensing Enforcement at 416-392-3082 or and a Bylaw Enforcement Officer will investigate.
The officer will educate the business owner of their responsibility to provide service.  A $500 ticket can be issued. If the business owner refuses or it is a recurring issue, a Part III summons can be issued and dealt with by Provincial court.
Businesses licensed by the City can be found here.  
If the business is not licensed by the City, then the following should occur:
If you have a Human rights enquiry or complaint about a private employer or service provider (e.g. you are employed by or receive discriminatory treatment in a restaurant or store), or related to employment in or services received from the provincial government, please contact the:

Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario
Ontario Human Rights Legal Support Centre
Ontario Human Rights Commission

If your complaint is about the provision of services within federal jurisdiction or if you work for a federally regulated industry such as a bank or in telecommunications, contact the Canadian Human Rights Commission.

ExpandTaxicab and Limousine Enforcement

In Toronto, Taxicabs and limousines are regulated by Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 545, Licensing, which includes the condition of the vehicle, driver behaviour and use of cell phone, route taken, fare and a number of areas.

Submit a compliment, complaint or suggestion 

You can submit a compliment, complaint or suggestion about the taxicabs by contacting the Licensing Enforcement Unit:

Online form


Phone: 416-392-3082

Fax: 416-392-3395

What happens after you submit a complaint

A staff person will contact you for follow-up after receiving your feedback and then begin an investigation.

Learn more

Visit the Toronto Taxicab Portal to learn more about Toronto taxicabs, including legislation, safety tips, training and more. 

ExpandMarijuana Dispensaries

In its December 2015 Speech from the Throne, the Federal Government made a commitment to “legalize, regulate, and restrict access” to cannabis.

 On June 30, 2016, the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, and the Minister of Health announced the creation of a nine-member Task Force on Cannabis Legalization and Regulation. In December 2016, the Federal Government publicly released the report by the Task Force advising the Federal Government on the design of a new legislative and regulatory framework for legal access to cannabis. The Federal process of introducing new legislation to legalize recreational cannabis is anticipated in 2017.

 While the Federal Government develops its framework for the legalization and regulation of cannabis, City by-law enforcement officers and Toronto Police have continued to enforce the laws currently in place.

Medical Marijuana and Cannabis Oils

Over the past number of months, the City of Toronto has been receiving inquiries regarding storefront cannabis dispensaries that have been appearing across the city. 

 These dispensaries are not allowed under both the Health Canada Federal Regulations (Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes - ACMPR) and the City's Zoning By-law.

The City's role with regards to medical marijuana and cannabis is to regulate, through the Zoning Bylaw, where it can be produced and distributed.  Medical marijuana and cannabis production facilities licensed by the Federal Government must comply with all municipal bylaws, including the municipal zoning bylaw.

There are 38 authorized licensed producers in Canada, and 23 in Ontario. Licensed producers distribute medical marijuana and cannabis oils by mail to authorized usersStorefront distribution of medical marijuana or cannabis is illegal and not permitted.

The consumption of marijuana and cannabis oils for medicinal purposes has been exempt from the CDSA through various regulations since 2001. To legally access medical marijuana and cannabis oils, individuals authorized by a health care can: 

  • access mail-order products from producers licensed by Health Canada
  • register with Health Canada to produce a limited amount for themselves
  • designate someone to produce it for them


More information:

  1. News Release, Owners and employees of six marijuana dispensaries fined by Courts, October 20, 2016
  2. ML&S Monitor, Federal Government announces new medical marijuana regulations, August 17, 2016
  3. Federal Government fact sheet on Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulation.
  4. Understanding the New Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations.


1. Licensing and Standards Committee decision and staff report, June 27, 2016

On June 27, 2016, staff reported to Licensing and Standards Committee on the issue of medical marijuana dispensaries. Committee "deferred consideration of the item until provincial and federal legislation has been passed on medical marijuana dispensaries". Read the staff report on the Review of Regulations Governing Marijuana for Medical Purposes.

2. Toronto Public Health reported on the legalization and regulation of non-medical marijuana, May 16, 2016