TTC is building a new 8.6-km subway extension that will extend the current Yonge-University-Spadina subway line north into The Regional Municipality of York, adding six new stations along the way. Tunnel boring is over 85 per cent complete and track installation has started in the twin tunnels. All of the stations for the project are currently under construction. Overall, construction on the project has passed the 50 per cent completion mark. The Spadina extension is scheduled for completion in the fall of 2016.
Here are some interesting facts about this project:
• Total excavated material - 1,400,000m3 – enough to fill the Rogers Centre
• Total Concrete to be poured - 400,000m3 – equal to 10 CN Towers
• Rebar installed – 70,000 tonnes
• Total precast tunnel liners installed – 9,000 rings; 54,000 segments
• Precast double ties to be installed – 11,000
• Tunnel boring machines weigh 430,000 kg each – equivalent to 280 cars