How did we collect this information?
Toronto Public Health, with support from Toronto's public school boards, conducted a school-based student survey in 2014 to assess the health and health behaviours of adolescent students. Public Health Nurses and Dental Hygienists and Assistants visited 466 classrooms at 165 schools during a seven week period between January and March 2014. The sample size included from 6,053 Grade 7 to 12 students in Toronto's four public Boards.
Data were collected on issues related to:
- Well-being and mental health
- Bullying and violence
- Physical activity and sedentary behaviour
- Nutrition and body size
- Tobacco, alcohol and other drugs
- Sexual health
- Dental and oral health
The Student Survey collected health information from students through:
- A written questionnaire (PDF)
- Measurement of students' height and weight
- An oral health check