The City of Toronto has completed its review of the Downsview Area Secondary Plan. The review is an opportunity for the City to reassess the existing 1999 Secondary Plan in the context of the City's planning goals and objectives and to ensure that the planning policies for this area are current and appropriate to guide future development. The Review has a specific focus on the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension in developing and evaluating options for an updated Secondary Plan.
Request for Direction Report -- Stanley Greene Development Applications
The rezoning and draft plan of subdivision applications submitted by Parc Downsview Park Inc. (PDPI) in the Stanley Greene District in the southwestern portion of the Downsview Area Secondary Plan have been appealed to the Ontario Municipal Board and a pre-hearing conference has been scheduled for February 10, 2012. Since these applications were last before North York Community Council, significant revisions have been made to the Stanley Greene development plan, as described in this report. The report below seeks Council direction to continue ongoing discussions to refine the proposal with a goal of entering into a settlement with PDPI to be presented to the Ontario Municipal Board at the February 10, 2012 pre-hearing conference.
Community Information Session – September 13, 2011
A Community Information Session will be held to provide the community with up-to-date information on the status of the Downsview Area Secondary Plan Review, the current development proposal for the Stanley Greene District and the ongoing Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) hearing. Since these applications are currently under appeal at the OMB, this session is for information only.
Ontario Municipal Board Decision
At its Pre-hearing Conference on June 29, 2011, the Ontario Municipal Board issued an Oral Decision approving an updated Downsview Area Secondary Plan. A written Decision from the Ontario Municipal Board was issued on August 17, 2011.
You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Viewer to view and print the PDF files.
- Study Consultant Team
- Study Area
- Phases and Timing
- Environmental Assessment
- Community Participation and Communication
- Completed Secondary Plan Review Reports
- Background Documents
A consulting team was retained by the City to assist with the review. Led by the firm of planning Alliance, this team has expertise in land use planning, urban design, transportation, servicing, heritage and archaeology. The consulting team worked closely with the City, the landowners in the Secondary Plan area and the surrounding community in evaluating and developing an updated planning direction for the lands.
The map below shows the study area for the review and the location of the Secondary Plan area (outlined green area) within the study area. The study area for the review is the area between Jane Street and Bathurst Street to the west and east, and Finch Avenue and Highway 401 to the north and south. Looking at the larger area provides an important context for updating the planning direction for the Secondary Plan.
The Secondary Plan area is approximately 530 hectares in area and major landowners include the federal crown corporation Parc Downsview Park Inc., Bombardier Aerospace, Department of National Defense and the City of Toronto including the Toronto Economic Development Corporation. Through the review, the boundaries of the Secondary Plan may be revised.
(Summer and Fall 2008)
The Review examined the need for new infrastructure in the area (streets, watermains and sewers). This process was conducted as a Master Plan in accordance with the 'Municipal Class Environmental Assessment' (Class EA) by completing the first two phases in the Planning and Design process of the Class EA.
Completed Community Consultation:
- Community Meeting - September 17, 2008
Summary of Comments
- Community Meeting - October 7, 2008
Parc Downsview Park Inc. Presentation
Summary of Comments
- Drop-In: Update on Analysis of Options - November 1 and 2, 2008
The following panels and feedback forms were on display during Drop-in Sessions held on November 1 and 2, 2008.
- Community Meeting - December 8, 2008: Directions for a Preferred Alternative
These panels were presented at the meeting:
- Community Consultation Meeting - September 14, 2009
- Meeting Notice
- Community Meeting Panels
- Draft Recommended Land Use Plan (PDF 1.4 MB)
- Draft Recommended Land Use District Plans (PDF 6.6 MB)
- Draft Recommended Transportation Plan (Road, Transit, Pedestrian and Cycling Networks) (PDF 4.2 MB)
- Parks and Open Space + Heritage and Archaeology (PDF 730 kb)
- Community Meeting Presentation by Planning Alliance (PDF 1 MB)
- Community Meeting Handout (PDF 5.1 MB)
- Community Meeting Comment Sheet (PDF)
- Open House - May 3, 2010
This Open House responds to the request of North York Community Council at its meeting of March 9, 2010 to defer consideration of the Downsview Area Secondary Plan final report to the June 22, 2010 meeting in order to allow the Secondary Plan to be shown to the constituents of the three affected wards (Wards 8, 9 and 10) in the form of public consultations in conjunction with the respective Ward Councillors.
Phase 1 Reports
- Phase 1 Summary Memorandum, Sections 1 - 2
- Phase 1 Summary Memorandum, Sections 3 - 5.4
- Phase 1 Summary Memorandum, Sections 5.5 - 8
- Appendix 1 - Transportation -Background Review & Existing Conditions
- Appendix 3 - Community Meeting Comments Summary
- Phase 1 Servicing and Stormwater Management Report - Servicing Review
- Heritage Building Conservation Study Review (PDF 17.9 MB)
- Summary Report, Cultural Heritage Landscapes, Attributes Map (PDF 1.3 MB)
- Built Resources (PDF 2.1 MB)
- Appendix I -- Photographs (PDF 3.1 MB)
- Appendix II, Part 1 -- Historical Summary of Downsview Lands (PDF 5.4 MB)
- Appendix II, Part 2 -- Historical Summary of Downsviwe Lands, Cont'd (PDF 3.8 MB)
- Appendix III -- FHBRO Building Reports (PDF 1.8 MB)
- Phase 2 Land Use and Urban Design Summary Memorandum (PDF 2.7 MB)
- Phase 2 Transportation Report (PDF 2 MB)
- Phase 2 Servicing and Stormwater Management Report - Identification and Evaluation of Servicing Review
- Phase 3 Land Use and Urban Design Summary Memorandum (PDF 9.1 MB)
- Phase 3 Transportation Report - Identification of a Preferred Alternative (PDF 3.3 MB)
- Phase 3 Servicing and Stormwater Management Report
- Phase 4 Land Use Planning and Urban Design Final Summary Memorandum
- Downsview Area Secondary Plan - Transportation Master Plan Report
- Phase 4 Servicing and Stormwater Management Report
- June 3, 2011 (considered by City Council on June 14, 2011). Direction Report authorizing the City Solicitor and other appropriate staff to attend the Ontario Municipal Board in support of the revised official plan amendment application for an updated Secondary Plan submitted by Parc Downsview Park Inc.
- April 5, 2011 (considered at North York Community Council on April 21, 2011). Supplemental Report responding on a number of matters directed by North York Community Council at its meeting of March 22, 2011.
- March 4 2011 and recommended Secondary Plan (considered at North York Community Council on March 22, 2011). Supplemental Report responding on a number of matters directed by North York Community Council at its meeting of June 22, 2010, recommending an updated Secondary Plan and seeking direction on the further processing of the Official Plan Amendment application submitted by Build Toronto Inc.
- May 31, 2010 (considered at North York Community Council on June 22, 2010)
Staff Report responding on a number of matters directed by North York Community Council at its meeting of March 9, 2010
- February 17, 2010 (considered at North York Community Council on March 9, 2010).
Final Report recommending updated Secondary Plan
- March 6, 2008 (considered at North York Community Council on April 8, 2008)
Staff Report recommending that staff undertake a review and update of the Downsview Area Secondary Plan
Area Profile - December 2008
- Front cover
- Table of contents
- Part I - Introduction
- Part II - Planning Framework
- Part III - Residential and Employment Characteristics
- Part IV - Community Services and Facilities
- Part V - Natural Environment and Sustainability
- Part VI - Public Realm and Adjacent Building Form
The following reports provide additional information on the Downsview Area Secondary Plan, the Review, the Spadina Subway Extension and the City Planning Division and the planning process.
Existing Secondary Plan:
Additional information on the Spadina Subway Extension, Parc Downsview Park and TEDCO (Build Toronto):