Toronto City Hall's LED lighting system on the Green Podium Roof is designed to enhance the architecture of the building. Organizations can request that the towers be illuminated in specific colours to promote their cause.
On this page you'll find information on how to submit a request, the approval process, and a list of conditions under which requests will not be considered.
Questions about this process should be directed to the contact listed to the right.
To have your request for lighting considered, please provide the following information on the requesting not-for-profit or registered charitable organization's letterhead at least three (3) weeks prior to the requested lighting date.
- the nature of the cause
- history and background of the organization/cause
- how lighting will be used to benefit the cause
- the requested date for the lighting
- the requested colour(s) for the lighting (RGB number or colour sample — up to two colours only)
- a web link to more information on our organization
- a management representative's signature (from the requesting organization)
Please send your request either by email or mail to the contact listed in the Contact Us section to the right.
Tower lighting request approvals are at the sole discretion of City of Toronto staff and not subject to appeals or negotiation.
Applicants will receive a written response stating whether or not their request has been approved within two (2) business days of receipt.
If a lighting request is approved, the towers will be illuminated from dusk to dawn the following day.
Tower Lighting requests are approved per individual request. There is no guarantee of ongoing or future request approvals.
Lighting requests will not be considered if any of the following are true:
- matters of political controversy, ideological or religious beliefs, or individual conviction
- events or organizations with no direct impact or connection to the City of Toronto
- campaigns or events contrary to City policies or by-laws
- anything that contravenes City policies or by-laws
- campaigns intended for profit-making purposes
- private or personal events.