Councillor Ana Bailão (Ward 18 Davenport) addresses the crowd on Nathan Phillips Square
The first annual Newcomer Day was hosted by the City of Toronto, Toronto Newcomer Office in partnership with the Toronto Newcomer Leadership Table on Friday May 29, 2015.The day was a great success with over one thousand people in attendance. In honour of the event, Mayor John Tory proclaimed May 29 Newcomer Day.
In future years, Newcomer Day will fall annually on the last Friday in May.
On hand to help celebrate the day were Councillor Ana Bailão (Ward 18 Davenport), the City's Housing Advocate; Bernard Trottier, Member of Parliament/MP for Etobicoke-Lakeshore and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs and for La Francophonie; Member of Provincial Parliament/MPP Cristina Martins, Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and International Trade and Tony Clement, President of the Treasury Board and Member of Parliament/MP for Parry Sound-Muskoka (Ontario).
As part of Newcomer Day fifty-six new Canadians were sworn in during a Citizenship Ceremony in Council Chamber and twenty-five community agencies and City divisions participated in an information fair on Nathan Phillips Square.
The Toronto Newcomer Office extends our sincerest thanks to our City colleagues and community partners who came out to celebrate and support this historic achievement.
Other activities that took place throughout the day:
- Community members were invited to share what they love about Toronto at our Speakers' Corner.
- Parks, Forestry and Recreation and the Toronto Seed Library led activities in the Diversity Garden.
- Award winning Author Teresa Toten and the Toronto Public Library hosted a short talk and reading from "Piece by Piece: Stories about Fitting into Canada".
- The Toronto District School Board and the Toronto Catholic District School Board shared information about services and resources.
- Arts for Children & Youth (AFCY) offered a sneak peek of murals created to welcome coaches and athletes participating in the Pan Am/Parapan America Games
- Self-guided tours of City Hall ran throughout the day.
Debbie Douglas, Executive Director of OCASI and
Newcomer Leadership Table Co-Chair
The Toronto Newcomer Office asked community members what they love about Toronto at the first annual Toronto Newcomer Day. See what they had to say.
Toronto Newcomer Day Slide Show
Enjoy this photo slide show of the first annual Toronto Newcomer Day celebration.
Toronto Celebrates Immigrants at the First Annual Newcomer Day
Watch this video recap of Newcomer Day, including highlights from City and agency representatives, and newcomers who were present on the day of. Produced by New Horizons Media.