Toronto Public Health
The goal of the Health Professionals website is to provide you with timely, accurate, and relevant local public health information. Resources are primarily targeted at physicians and infection control practitioners practising in Toronto.
News and Announcements
Toronto's first human case of West Nile Virus (WNV) for 2015 has been confirmed.
Positive WNV mosquito pools have also been detected in Toronto.
- TPH's Recommendations for Health Professionals
- Public Health Ontario's West Nile Virus Update - Interpretation of Serology Results and investigation of cases with neurological involvement
- WNV surveillance information, including up-to-date number of positive mosquito pools identified, and confirmed cases of WNV
On May 20, 2015, South Korea reported a case of MERS-CoV with recent travel history to the Middle East. This index case has resulted in significant transmission. As of June 12, all cases have been linked to a single chain of transmission and are associated with health care facilities (excluding the index case). Physicians should be alert for patients presenting with signs and symptoms consistent with acute respiratory infections (ARIs).
For more information:
Clinicians should be reminded that although the risk is extremely low Ebola virus disease (EVD) should be considered in the differential diagnosis of febrile persons who have returned from endemic regions or specific local areas of Ebola-affected countries as identified by the Public Health Agency of Canada.
For the most up to date information on infection prevention and control, lab testing and initial assessment and management of the returning traveller visit the PHO EVD webpage.
Toronto Public Health (TPH) has set up an Ebola Information Line for Health Care Professionals at 416-392-5311. The line is staffed during regular business hours Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. After hours, please call 311 and your call will be redirected to the After-hours Manager.
- Publicly Funded Immunization Schedules for Ontario
- Bed Bugs
- Breastfeeding E-Learning Modules
- Cancer Prevention and Screening
- Enteric Outbreak Management
- Grade 7 & 8 Immunization and Vaccines
- Harm Reduction Services
- Rabies and Animal Bites/Exposures
- Respiratory Outbreak Management
- Vaccine Storage and Handling