From May through October 2017, the Cultural Hotspot initiative will shine a spotlight on arts, culture and community in East York; inspiring new ideas about where culture thrives in Toronto. The Cultural Hotspot is bordered by Eglinton to the north, Lake Ontario to the south, Bayview Avenue/the Don Valley to the west and Victoria Park Avenue to the east.
The Cultural Hotspot:
- Celebrates local culture, heritage, creativity, business and community with special events, festivals and art happenings, building community pride
- Connects the Hotspot community, promotes new partnerships and shares this exciting area with all of Toronto through community gatherings, events, outreach and media campaigns
- Grows creative capacity in the area with workshops, courses, youth employment and mentorship, and legacy projects like the Cultural Loops Guide
- Signature: The City of Toronto's Arts & Culture Services collaborates with arts organizations already active in the neighbourhood, partnering to develop dynamic transformative projects that provide new opportunities to engage the community and highlight the vibrancy within.
- SPARK: Through seed funding and mentorships, SPARK supports emerging artists from diverse communities – boosting artistic talents that highlight the Hotspot, promoting local organizations and bringing guest artists into the neighbourhood.
- Community: The Cultural Hotspot is comprised of vibrant neighbourhoods with local community theatre groups, choirs, visual artists, writers, musicians, filmmakers, and emerging and professional artists. The Hotspot connects people, highlighting and celebrating events already happening in the area through community meet-ups, an interactive website, social media, print ads and more.
- HOT Eats: Launched in 2015, HOT Eats highlights restaurants, cafés and bakeries in Hot spot neighbourhoods through a gift certificate giveaway campaign (in partnership with Toronto Community News), with an interactive online map and listing of participating restaurants, and with info about each restaurant in the Loops Guide.
- Cultural Loops Guide: A legacy of the Hotspot, the Loops Guide is a collection of self-guided tours (in print and online) featuring local arts and cultural institutions, green spaces, history, architecture and businesses. This informative navigation tool provides residents and visitors continued access to explore and enjoy the Hotspot area.