Developing Toronto

Committee of Adjustment (COA)

Toronto City Council has appointed a Committee of Adjustment consisting of citizen members. The Committee of Adjustment operates as four panels: Etobicoke York, North York, Toronto East York, and Scarborough. They regularly hold public hearings to consider applications for minor variances, permission and consents.  Learn more about minor variances and consent applications.

To search for information on active Committee of Adjustment applications, please visit the City Planning Application Information Centre.

Research Request Portal

A new Research Request Portal allowing you to request, pay for and download Committee of Adjustment Decision Notices online will be made available in the near future.
More details to be provided soon.

Email Submissions

EmailAs of March 6, 2017, all Minor Variance and Consent application can be submitted in digital format (pdf) by email to: Please ensure to include the property address in the subject line. If you prefer to submit in-person, we will accept digital applications with a CD/DVD at any Toronto Building Customer Service Counter in any District regardless of the property location.

Also, an electronic copy of the Public Notice Sign with printing and installation requirements will be sent to the applicant by email from the Case Manager once the application is scheduled for a hearing.

Toronto launches Mediation Pilot Project


Mediation Pilot Project

This city-wide pilot program uses a third party mediator to assist disputing parties reach a voluntary, mutually-acceptable solution for some or all of the issues in dispute for minor variance and consent applications being considered by the Committee of Adjustment.

The program will rollout across the city and will be available through the Committee of Adjustment starting with North York on February 9, followed by Toronto and East York on February 15, Scarborough on February 16 and Etobicoke and York on February 23.

Toronto Local Appeal Body (TLAB)

The City of Toronto is establishing an independent Toronto Local Appeal Body (TLAB) to rule on appeals of decisions of the Committee of Adjustment and provide quick and efficient hearings.

Variances to Site-Specific Zoning By-laws

As of July 1, 2016, changes to the Planning Act prohibit an applicant from making an application for a minor variance if a site specific zoning by-law has been passed within the last two years.

If your property has been the subject of a site specific by-law passed after July 1, 2016 then you will need Council approval to proceed with the application. Please contact Community Planning for information on how to proceed with the application.

If your property has not been the subject of a site specific zoning by-law passed after July 1,2016 then you can make an application.

Committee of Adjustment Public Hearing Schedules & Locations

Etobicoke York Schedule 2017

Etobicoke Civic Centre
399 The West Mall
Toronto, Ontario
M9C 2Y2
(Wards 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6)

York Civic Centre
2700 Eglinton Avenue West
Toronto, Ontario
M6M 1V1
(Wards 7, 11, 12, 13 & 17)

Scarborough Schedule 2017

Scarborough Civic Centre
150 Borough Drive
Toronto, Ontario
M1P 4N7
(Wards 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44)

North York Schedule 2017

North York Civic Centre
5100 Yonge Street
North York Ontario
M2N 5V7
(Wards 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 23, 24, 25, 26, 33, 34)

Committee of Adjustment - Definitions

ExpandMinor variances

Small changes or exceptions to existing land use or development restrictions contained in the zoning bylaw are called minor variances.


City of Toronto must grant consent for land transactions such as: to divide (sever) land into new lots, to add land to an abutting lot, to establish easements or rights-of-way and to lease or register a mortage over 21 years.