The Toronto Renovates Homeowners Program offers federal/provincial funding for lower-income seniors and people with a disability who wish to make health or safety repairs or accessibility modifications to their homes.
To find out if you are eligible for the Toronto Renovates Homeowners Program, please refer to the Eligibility Criteria below and then fill out and return an Assessment Request Form. You can mail the form or fax it to 416-397-9155.
Once a request form has been approved, a Toronto Renovates program officer will contact you to arrange an appointment. You can download the form or contact the Affordable Housing Office at 416-392-7620 to have one mailed to you.
Note: Due to pent-up demand and limited funding this application process may be suspended again in the future.
A brochure listing other sources of potential funding for home repairs is available here.
To be considered for funding under Toronto Renovates
- You must be 65 or over or disabled* or both.
* For the program's definition of disabled please see below.
- Your household income must be below the following limits:
Size of Household Single Person Two Individuals Three Individuals Four or More Individuals Household Income Limit $40,222 $51,714 $72,400 $90,500
- The value of your home must be no more than $774,874. This value is determined by provincial funding rules and is subject to change and will be based on Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) information
Note: Please review additional eligibility criteria here.
For the purposes of the Toronto Renovates program, a person with a disability is defined as any member of the household:
- having a substantial physical or mental impairment caused by bodily injury, disfigurement, illness, mental disorder or developmental disability;
- whose disability is ongoing or recurring and expected to last at least one year;
- whose disability results in a substantial restriction in the activities of daily living, such as mobility limitations that pose physical safety risks or result in an inability to attend to personal care or function in the community.
The home modifications requested must relate to the disability. The disability, its related restrictions and likely duration, must be verified in writing by a health-care professional such as a doctor.
March of Dimes
Additional funding for accessibility modifications may be available through the March of Dimes.
- Should you meet the eligibility criteria and wish to be assessed to determine if you qualify for Toronto Renovates, you will be asked to complete a Toronto Renovates Assessment Request Form. You can mail the form or fax it to 416-397-9155.
- Once the Affordable Housing Office has received your Assessment Request Form and has confirmed you meet the basic eligibility criteria, you will receive a phone call providing you with a tracking number and further details. If you have any questions, please contact the Housing Improvements Program, 416-392-7620 or email@example.com.
- A Toronto Renovates Program Officer will contact you to arrange an assessment visit in your home.
- The Toronto Renovates Program Officer will assess your eligibility. Should you be eligible, the officer will help you submit a Toronto Renovates Application Package, which will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The Assessment Request Form is not a funding application and the return of this form to the City of Toronto does not guarantee funding approval.
- You cannot begin repairs or modifications until you receive a funding Confirmation Letter from the City of Toronto. You will not be reimbursed for any work done before the letter is received.
- City of Toronto staff are available to assist you with the Toronto Renovates program. You should not need to hire anyone to assist in the application process and Toronto Renovates funding cannot be used to pay such costs.
- When the current federal/provincial funding for Toronto Renovates runs out, the Affordable Housing Office will notify in writing all those who have submitted an Assessment Request Form but have not yet been contacted by the Affordable Housing Office.
City of Toronto staff will be pleased to assist you in accessing the Toronto Renovates program, but cannot recommend a contractor or provide a list of contractors. You are responsible for obtaining contractor quotations for the work you need done under the program. We suggest obtaining quotations or bids from at least two independent contractors before you make a decision.
The City has prepared Choosing a Contractor (PDF) to assist you in this process.