On June 9, 2016 City Council adopted a Ten Year Cycling Network Plan. This plan will serve as a road map and workplan for the development of Toronto's cycling network.
Cycling Network Implementation
On this page, you can track the status of projects here, from the approval stages to installation.
- Cycling Network Plan - 2016 Workplan Report to the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee's September 22nd, 2015 Meeting
- Recent Staff Reports
- Recent Council Decisions
|On-Street Cycling Infrastructure||(lane kilometers)|
|White bicycle lanes||216.8|
|Yellow 'contra-flow' bicycle lanes||7.5|
Signed Routes with shared lane pavement markings ("sharrows")
|Signed routes (no pavement markings)||302|
Note: the City of Toronto also has an additional 18.5km of sharrows which are installed on arterial roads. Arterial Sharrows are not considered to be a Cycling Network facility type.
|Multi-use Trails||(centerline kilometers)|
Off road Trails, including Rail Trails, Hydro Corridor
Trails, Boulevard Trails and Major parks Trails.
* Trails which are classified as part of the Cycling Network are typically two-ways, with a centerline. If the "lane km" distance for each centerline kilometer is to be calculated, the approximate figure is therefore 600 km.
Recent Cycling Program Member Motions, Letters and Petitions
- Request for Report on a Bicycle Licensing System - July 12, 2016
- Request to Establish a Cross-Divisional Staff Table on York-Beltline Issues & Initiatives - July 12, 2016
- Bike Repair Rebuild Stations and Do It Yourself (DIY) Repair Hubs - May 16, 2016
- Bike Lane Snow Clearing - May 16, 2016
- Bloor Street Bike Lane Petitions - May 3, 2016
- Cycling Network Plan and Requesting Information to Consider Building a Minimum Grid - February 3, 2016
- Support for East-West Cycling Connections East of Sherbourne - September 22, 2015
- Ensuring Safety for Cyclists During Construction and Closures - May 28, 2015
- Request for Cycle Track Review and Design Improvements - April 9, 2015
- Ceremonial Naming of Sherbourne Street bike lanes after Alan Milliken Heisey - February 10, 2015
- Improving Safety for Bicycle Commuters in Toronto - April 9, 2014
- Lower Don Trails Accessibilty - August 25, 2014
- Status Report; Improving Safety for Bicycle Commuters - August 25, 2014
- PanAm Games Capital Projects Update - July 8, 2014
- Contra-Flow Bicycle Lanes on Dixon Avenue - July 8, 2014
- Cycling Snow Routes Level of Service - June 10, 2014
- Port Union Road Environmental Assessment Study Addendum - June 10, 2014
- St. Dennis Drive Bicycle Lanes - June 10, 2014
- Kingston Road Waterfront Trail Connection- June 10, 2014
- Harbord Street and Hoskin Avenue Bicycle Lane Upgrades - June 10, 2014
- Richmond-Adelaide Cycle Track Planning and Design Study - Pilot Project - Adopted on June 10, 2014
- Eglinton Connects Environmental Assessment Study - Adopted May 6, 2014
- Bylaw Amendments for Argyle Contra-Flow Bicycle Lanes - Adopted with Amendments May 13, 2014
- Bylaw Amendments for Installed and Approved Contra-Flow Bicycle Lanes - Adopted with Amendments April 8, 2014
- Electric Bikes Proposed Policies and Bylaws - February 19, 2013
- Nathan Philips Square Bike Station - May 7, 2013
- Authority to donate Abandoned Bicycles to Charitable Organizations - June 11, 2013
- Implementation of the Shaw Street Bikeway - July 16, 2013
- Extending the Bay Street Bicycel Lanes - October 8, 2013
- Bloor Dupont Bikeway Environmental Assessment Study - November 13, 2013
- Strategy for Continuing Toronto's Bike Share Program - November 13, 2013
- Improving Safety for Bicycle Commuters in Toronto - October 8, 2013
- Special Recognition for Ghost Bikes - October 8, 2013
- Pedestrian-Cyclist Crossings Avenue Road, Bathurst Street and Oriol Parkway at the Beltline Trail Crossings - November 13, 2013
- Dupont Street Bicycle Lanes - Options Report - adopted October 2, 2012
- By-law Amendments for Sherbourne Street Cycle Tracks - adopted with amendments October 2, 2012
- Improving Cyclist Safety at the Dundas Street West and Sterling Road Intersection - adopted October 2, 2012
- Follow-up Report: Amendment to Chapter 743, Use of Streets and Sidewalks", of the Toronto Municipal Code – Bicycles - adopted July 11, 2012
- Status of the Wellesley Street Cycle Tracks Project - adopted without amendments June 6, 2012
- Bikeway Trails Implementation Plan - Adopted without amendments June 6, 2012
- Establishment of Citizen Committees – Received June 6, 2012
- Nathan Phillips Square Bike Station - Considered May 8, 2012 and referred
- Spadina On-Street Bike Corral – Adopted May 8, 2012
- Proposed Bike Lanes on Shaughnessy Boulevard - Sheppard Avenue East to Glentworth Road/Delverton Place - adopted April 10, 2012
- Relieving Rush Hour Congestion Due to Unlawful Stopping, Standing, and Parking - Adopted February 6, 2012 with amendments
- Agenda Item History: Feasibility of a Pilot Project for Separated Bicycle Lanes on Richmond Street and/or Adelaide Street November 29 – December 1, 2011 Session of Council.
- Agenda Item History: Council direction to investigate Dundas Sterling Intersection November 29 – December 1, 2011 Session of Council.
- Agenda Item History: Request to implement use of truck side guards and other safety measures to improve safety for cyclists. November 29 – December 1, 2011 Session of Council.
- Agenda Item History: Council decisions regarding the June 2011 Bikeway Report (trails, downtown bikeway upgrades, new bike lanes, removals of exiting bike lanes, modifications to existing bike lanes.) July 2011 Session of Council
- No Right Turn on Red (Bike Boxes)
City Council, Meeting: July 6-8, 2010 Decision Document, Item TE35.76
- Traffic Control Signals and Highway Alterations – Bikeway Network Trail Projects
City Council, Meeting: July 6-8, 2010 Decision Document, Item PW34.9
- 2010 Bikeway Network Program
City Council, Meeting: May 11-12, 2010 Decision Document. Item PW 32.9
- 2009 Bikeway Network Program - Installation of Bicycle Lanes City Council, Meeting: August 5-6, 2009, Decision Document
You'll need the free Adobe Acrobat reader to view PDF files.