Notification letters must be distributed to residents and business in the area in which filming activity will take place a minimum of 48 hours in advance of your arrival (including prep days and coning). This allows area residents and businesses the opportunity to respond.
Both sides of the street should be lettered, within a 1 block radius of the film location, or as otherwise instructed by TFTO staff.
TFTO staff must review and approve the letters before they are delivered to ensure that variances to the guidelines are clearly stated. E-mail letters to firstname.lastname@example.org (always indicate project title in subject line) with sufficient time to avoid delays.
Review a sample letter of notification.
The letter should:
- Identify the film company, type and title of production on film company letterhead
- Provide the name and phone number of the location manager and assistant location manager
- Provide the duration of filming (i.e. 1 day, 2 consecutive days, recurring location for [ x ] # of days over [ x ] # of months) and times (i.e. 7:00 am to 11:00 pm)
- State the proposed parking locations of the production unit, including street name, side of street, parameters etc.
- Include the date(s) and times that coning and/or production vehicles will arrive at the location, as well as wrap date and time
- Propose alternate parking arrangements for any parking permit holders who may be displaced by the production. It is up to the film company to find suitable alternative parking for residents.
- Detail any street dressing, gunfire or special effects
- If applicable, the letter should identify that the film company is requesting an exemption to a particular guideline. For example, if a residential city block has been used twice in one calendar year, the letter should state that the film company is requesting an exemption to guideline number six, "Limitations", and that the film company will canvass the neighbourhood for signed permission to obtain a variance. Review a sample letter for late night filming.
- Include the general contact information for the Toronto Film, Television & Digital Media Office: email@example.com; 416-338-FILM (3456). DO NOT include contact information for individual staff of the TFTO.
- Include a copy of the Code of Conduct for Cast and Crew (either on the back of the letter or as a separate page).
- Include the following statement: To obtain further information regarding the guidelines for filming refer to the Toronto Film, Television & Digital Media Office website www.toronto.ca/tfto