When to save food and when to throw it out
When to Keep it
If you keep the doors closed:
- Your refrigerator will stay cold for 4-6 hours and your freezer for 24 hours.
- Limit opening and closing the door during the power outage.
When to Throw it Out
- Never eat food that looks or smells strange.
- Avoid eating food that appears mouldy. Mould toxins can be found under the surface of mouldy food. Most food should be thrown out with some exceptions, e.g. cheese.
When in doubt, throw it out!
- This is the safest way to deal with food you are not sure about. It is best to be safe than to get sick.
- If you are not sure how long the food was left out at room temperature, avoid eating it. Bacteria that cause food poisoning grow quickly at room temperature.
- Visit Health Canada's website for more information on leftovers.