Elimination of User Fees for Adult Registered Programs at Priority Centres - Effective July 1, 2013
During the 2011 Operating Budget process, Council approved fees for Adult programs at Priority Centres as a measure to increase program revenue. As part of the 2013 Operating Budget process these fees have been eliminated.
When and why were Priority Centres established?
Priority Centres were established in 1999 in select locations where 30% of the population in the census tract had income levels below the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO).
How many Priority Centres are located in the City of Toronto?
Priority Centres offer free recreation programming at 23 locations across the City:
- Antibes Community Centre
- Chalkfarm Community Centre
- Dennis R Timbrell Resource Centre
- Driftwood Community Recreation Centre
- Elmbank Community Centre
- Falstaff Community Recreation Centre
- Harrison Pool
- Jimmie Simpson Recreation Centre
- John Innes Community Recreation Centre
- Kingsview Village Community School
- Lawrence Heights Community Recreation Centre
- Masaryk-Cowan Community Recreation Centre
- North Kipling Community Centre
- Oakdale Community Centre
- Oakridge Community Centre
- O'Connor Community Recreation Centre
- Regent Park Aquatic Centre
- Regent Park North Recreation Centre
- Regent Park South Community Centre
- Rockcliffe Middle School
- Scadding Court Community Recreation Centre
- Secord Community Centre
- Wellesley Community Centre
When does the change take place?
Adult fees will be eliminated effective July 1, 2013 (summer session). Adult fees for registered programs will continue to exist for the spring 2013 program session.
What programs are affected?
The following chart provides some examples where fees will be eliminated: Adult Fees (registered)
- Instructional Fitness
- Instructional Dance, Arts & Crafts, Fine Arts, Music
- Aqua-Fit, Swimming Lessons
- Pilates, Yoga, Walking Programs
- Instructional Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Racquet Sports
- Instructional Tai Chi, Martial Arts
- Instructional skate
How will older adults (60+) who register in Adult programs be affected?
Effective July 1, 2013 older adults (60+) who register in Adult programs will no longer be charged. Older Adult programs will continue to have no fees.
How will youth who register for an adult program be affected?
Effective July 1, 2013, youth who register in Adult programs will no longer be charged. Youth programs will continue to have no fees.