Saturday, October 1, 2016
Toronto's free all-night contemporary art event. The magic of Nuit Blanche Toronto will return to light up the city from sunset to sunrise on October 1. Experience Toronto transformed by artists for one night only. All night long.
How to Participate in Nuit Blanche Toronto 2016
There are five ways you can participate in Nuit Blanche Toronto 2016:
1. You can propose an art project through the Open Call process.
2. You can propose an Independent Project.
3. You can volunteer for the event.
4. You can participate through the sponsorship of an art project or the event.
5. You can choose to have your application be considered to be a Sponsor Art Project.
Proposing an art project
Open Calls are funded and produced by the City of Toronto. They are selected by Curators in response to the curatorial vision of their Exhibitions.
Independent Projects are not funded or produced by the City of Toronto, but instead are program partners of the event. They do not respond to a curatorial theme but are selected through an adjudication process.
Applicants should be aware that their participation in the Independent Project and Open Call programs in Nuit Blanche Toronto is not automatic, solely on the basis of meeting the general eligibility requirements. All applications are curated (in the case of Open Calls) or juried (in the case of Independent Projects) against the criteria outlined in their respective guidelines. All projects are selected based on artistic merit and project feasibility.
An Independent Project does not receive any funding and is responsible for its own staffing, security and other project costs. An Independent Project must find their own venue (a gallery, concert hall, hotel, parking lot, café, park, alleyway, etc.). City of Toronto cannot find you a venue, but we can consult with you on ideas and considerations. Independent Projects can be located anywhere within the city of Toronto.
Independent Project submissions are due on Monday, February 1, 2016 by 11:59 pm.
Open Call Projects
Each year the City of Toronto works with Curators to commission a series of installations ("Exhibition Projects") for their Exhibition areas. In addition to these commissioned projects, participating Exhibitions include two projects each selected by the Curators through an Open Call process. Open Calls are funded and produced by the City of Toronto. They are selected by Curators in response to the curatorial vision of their Exhibitions. Independent Projects are not funded or produced by the City of Toronto, but instead are program partners of the event. They do not respond to a curatorial theme but are selected through an adjudication process.
Toronto based and Canadian based artists, at any stage of their career, are strongly encouraged to apply to the Open Calls. Previous experience is not essential.
The Open Call program is also open to international artists.
The 2016 Open Call submissions closed on December 14, 2015.
Toronto artists, museums, galleries, cultural and educational institutions, neighbourhoods and BIAs are invited to submit their proposals to activate and transform the city at large, as an Independent Project for the night of Nuit Blanche Toronto.
The City of Toronto is holding an Information Session about this year's Independent Projects program on Monday, January 11, 2016, Metro Hall, 55 John St., 3rd floor, Room 310, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. http://bit.ly/1IEYSvd.
How to apply:
• Read the GUIDELINES before completing the application.
• Complete all fields within the application form. If you're not able to access this form, please email email@example.com to request assistance.
• Please note that in order to be considered you must fill out the relevant application form and adhere to all programming criteria and submission requirements.
• Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label your email subject heading as "Nuit Blanche 2016, plus your artist/artist collective name and project title." E.g. Subject: Nuit Blanche 2016_ Artist or Artist Collective Name, Title of Project.
• You may send email attachments including PDF, jpg, mp3 and avi files. Please do not send eps or psd files. This mailbox can only accept attachments up to 10MB in total size. Your application must be in one email only. Please label all attachments with your name and your project's title.
• If your application was submitted successfully, you will receive an automatic email response. If you do not receive this message, your application was not submitted successfully.
Independent Projects are due on Monday, February 1, 2016 by 11:59 pm.
Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
For more information email: email@example.com.
At least 30 installations ("Exhibition Projects") are selected to complement the theme of a curatorial vision for Nuit Blanche Toronto. These installations are then commissioned by the City of Toronto for Nuit Blanche Toronto.
We do not accept applications for Exhibition Projects.
Nuit Blanche Toronto is always looking for dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers to join the team. If you have the stamina – we have an all-night job for you! Please visit the City Cultural Event Volunteer Page for more information.
Nuit Blanche Toronto provides organizations with direct access to Toronto's diverse population and an event audience of over one million through customized sponsorships designed to meet your organizations business and philanthropic objectives and budget.
Your investment in Nuit Blanche Toronto will allow you to promote your brand and products, entertain clients, and demonstrate your support for Toronto's cultural community.
The City of Toronto is dedicated to building strong partnerships that benefit sponsors, the event and its audiences. For more information on sponsorship and partnership opportunities for your organization, please contact Michael Brown, Sponsorship Manager at 416-395-7347 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each year Nuit Blanche Toronto is held on the weekend before Canadian Thanksgiving. The upcoming scheduled dates are:
Saturday, September 30, 2017*
Saturday, September 29, 2018*
*all dates are subject to change
Nuit Blanche Toronto is produced by the City of Toronto in collaboration with Toronto's arts community.