Councillor Crawford's website:
Toronto City Hall
100 Queen Street West, Suite A11
Scarborough Civic Centre
Ward map (PDF)
Public service has always been an admirable goal to Gary Crawford. Elected in 2010 as the City Councillor for Ward 36 - Scarborough Southwest, Gary brings a passion for the arts to Toronto City Council. An accomplished artist (landscape and portrait painter), Gary is a strong supporter and advocate for arts and culture within our city.
Gary was the Chair of the Mayor's Task Force on Arts and Theatres that brought recommendations to City Council to support increased arts funding and a strategy to better govern the City's three civic theatres. He has been very active on a number of Boards including, the Toronto Arts Council, Toronto Centre for the Arts, St Lawrence Centre for the Arts, Sony Centre, Scarborough Arts, Canadian Stage, Harbourfront Centre and the Toronto Film Board.
Gary presently sits on the Budget Committee, Executive Committee and the Economic Development and Culture Committee as part of his responsibilities at City Hall. He is also the Chair of newly formed Toronto School Boards Task Force that will be investigating means for the City and School Boards to more effectively share information and coordinate strategic directions on matters of mutual interest.
Gary first ran successfully for the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) as Trustee in 2003 because he believed that a transparent and responsible public school system is the keystone for a strong and successful democratic society. As Trustee (2003-2010) and a former Vice-Chair of the Board, Gary has had the opportunity to advocate for children and their families at the community, municipal and provincial levels.
While at the TDSB, he was a leader in spearheading initiatives with the TDSB's vast Art, Archival and Historical Collection, including getting a number of the Board's Group of Seven masterpieces out of storage and be displayed at the AGO for students to enjoy and learn from.
Along with being a professional artist, Gary is also a drummer in a local classic rock and roll band. He also plays in a non-partisan City Hall band, The Clamshell Quintet, with a few of his colleagues.
Gary holds an Honours BFA in Fine Arts from York University and comes from a business background in the food industry, holding both management and consultant positions. Gary cares passionately about Scarborough Southwest and the City of Toronto. He has a strong vision and will ensure that Scarborough Southwest has a visible and important place at City Hall.
Community and civic responsibilities
- Scarborough Community Council Vice-chair
- Budget Committee
- Canadian National Exhibition Association Executive Committee, Vice-President
- Canadian National Exhibition Association, Municipal Section
- Canadian Stage Company, Board of Directors
- Community Partnership and Investment Program Appeals Committee
- Dora Mavor Moore Awards, Board of Directors
- East Metro Youth Services, Board of Directors
- Economic Development Committee
- Executive Committee
- Harbourfront Centre, Board of Directors
- Heritage Toronto
- Sony Centre for the Performing Arts Board of Directors
- Mayor's Task Force on the Arts and Theatres, Chair
- Robert McLaughlin Art Gallery, Oshawa
- Scarborough Arts Council
- St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts Board of Management
- Toronto Arts Council
- Toronto Centre for the Arts Board of Directors
- Toronto Film Board
- Toronto School Boards Task Force
- Coalition for Music Education in Canada Newsletter, published in March 2006
- Guitars, Not Gangs - Music Education and Reaching At-Risk Youth
- Illustrated the United Church Creed, "We Are Not Alone, We Live in God's World," published in 1998, second printing 2007, with over 15,000 copies sold