Municipal Licensing & Standards


Multi-Residential Apartment Buildings

Find out all you need to know about property standards for apartment buildings, guidelines for processing complaints and the status of an investigation of common areas in your building. 


Investigation Search - By common areas audits or individual unit

Municipal Licensing & Standards (ML&S) performs audits of common areas and elements shared by all residents, as well as individual units.

1. Investigation audits of common areas which residents share

ward mapAs part of the Multi-Resdiential Apartment Building audit program, ML&S investigates electrical systems, elevators, garbage management, lighting, gas, heat, water and other vital services. View an in depth list here

View a list of these audits by ward by year. 


2. Investigation of individual units by address or 311 SR number

You can view investigations of individual apartment units or other properties in two ways:

  1. Search by address of the house, apartment or other property.
  2. Search investigations with your 311 Service Request number

If you file a complaint with 311 by telephone or e-mail, 311 will provide you with a reference number depending on the type of complaint. You can input this number in their site to see the status of your investigation. If you don't have this number, use the "Search by address" link in item number 1 above.

Common areas investigations - the Multi-residential Apartment Building (MRAB) program

File a complaint

What tenants should do if they have a problem with their apartment

Tenant Service Charter

What a tenant in the City of Toronto should expect in their dealings with Municipal Licensing and Standards.