The Eglinton East LRT is envisioned to extend the Crosstown LRT east from Kennedy Station along Eglinton Avenue East, Kingston Road and Morningside Avenue to the University of Toronto, Scarborough Campus (UTSC).
Investment in better transit, particularly along the designated Avenues and major streets, contributes to the creation of more complete, walkable communities – communities that meet people’s needs for daily living, provide transportation choice, increase connectivity in disadvantaged neighbourhoods and reduce auto dependency. This is supported by the Official Plan.
In early 2016, the Eglinton East LRT was identified as a key part of Scarborough's Rapid Transit Network, to improve accessibility to local destinations and support the development of complete communities.
Scope of update to 2009 approved project:
- Connection to Crosstown LRT at Kennedy Station
- New terminus station at Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre
- Realignment of Military Trail through UTSC campus
- Service integration with Eglinton Crosstown, including 2- or 3- car trains, platform lengths
- Maintenance and storage requirements