In November 2012, City Council's Executive Committee requested the City Manager to seek the public's input on the establishment of a casino in Toronto. The City Manager engaged the firm DPRA to conduct the consultation with the public and stakeholders by the end of January 2013.
The consultation gathered input, including the public's views and opinions on a casino generally, on possible locations for a casino, and what the public would like Council to consider when making a decision on this matter.
The report which requested the City Manager to seek the public's input on the establishment of a new casino in Toronto was considered by Executive Committee on November 5, 2012 as item 2012.EX24.1.
Opportunities for participation in this consultation included:
Online feedback form: We encouraged all participants in this consultation to share their input with us through our feedback form. We asked what was important to the public, including views and opinions on a casino generally, on possible locations for a casino, and what Council should consider when making a decision on this matter.
Consultation Guide: Before completing the feedback form, respondents were encouraged to learn more about this consultation by reading the Consultation Guide .The guide included summary information about the issues and what City Council may consider as part of their decision making process.
Community Discussions: Five open houses were held across Toronto for people to learn more about the process and issues, talk with City staff, join discussion groups and take part in an open mic session.
City Manager's Report and Consultation Results
The consultation was conducted in January 2013. Almost 18,000 people shared their input which as consolidated, analyzed and considered for the City Manager's report, which you can find below.
- City Manager's report on the Establishment of a New Casino in Toronto
Raw Data from the Feedback Form
This data set contains responses to all questions in the Feedback Form. For your reference as you review the raw data, you can view a copy of the Feedback Form used for this consultation on the Open Data website.
This data set contains input from the Toronto Casino Consultation held in January 2013 by the City of Toronto. The purpose of posting this data set is to create a record of the consultation and the public's views, in a respectful way without offensive or otherwise inappropriate content, and protect the City from legal liability.
The data set has been reviewed to ensure the content does not:
- contravene the City's policies or applicable laws related to anti-discrimination, human rights or privacy;
- include information that identifies an individual other than one acting in an official capacity, nor any comments that are personal attacks on someone's character, personal or business affairs, etc.;
- address an issue before the courts or outside of the City's jurisdiction, or comments on another organization or private company;
- contain unsubstantiated rumours or potentially libelous statements;
- contain obscenities, derogatory, insulting, offensive, violent or hateful language; or
- include any email addresses, attachments or web links.
In cases where such comments were found, only the language which contradicted the policy was removed by staff - the rest of the input remained in the data set.