Toronto Building ensures that the buildings where we live, work and play are safe. Learn how to apply for a permit for your next building or home renovation project; read the latest news about building safety and regulations in Toronto; or find out more about an existing application.
Toronto Building Services
Find out the types of work that
Learn about Building Regulations
What are the consequences of working without a permit?
Find out about the City of Toronto Sign Bylaw
Permit Approval & Inspections Process
Steps for applying for a permit include:
- Before applying for your building permit, find out about zoning compliance and identify all other applicable law by applying for a preliminary zoning review.
- Review the application guides.
- Submit your application at the appropriate Toronto Building customer service counter. Certain applications may also be submitted by email.
- Learn about the Building Permit Review Streams and the Plan Review Process.
- Once you receive your permit, but before you begin construction, review the Construction Requirements & Guidelines. If you are doing any digging or excavation on the property or in the yard Call Before You Dig for a free locate.
- Once you start construction you will need to book your inspections.
Find out about:
- Development Charges, Education Development Charges & Parks Levies
- Electronic Submission Guidelines
- Application Guides for Preliminary Reviews, Building Permits and other Service Requests
- Requesting copies of building records and plans
- Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 363, Building Construction and Demolition (PDF)
Search for Building Permit Applications
Code of Conduct
The Code of Conduct establishes the standards of behaviour that the City of Toronto Chief Building Official and Inspectors must follow. It includes guidelines for handling allegations of breaches to the Code of Conduct and for the enforcement of the Code of Conduct.