The Toronto Book Awards honour authors of books of literary or artistic merit that are evocative of Toronto. Authors are only eligible if their submission evokes the city itself, that is, contains some clear Toronto content (this may be reflected in the themes, settings, subjects, etc.). Authors do not necessarily have to reside in Toronto.
We begin accepting submissions on January 1, 2017
Deadline for submissions to the 2017 Toronto Book Awards is April 30 ,2017(entries must be postmarked no later than this date).
• Fiction and non-fiction books published in English for adults and/or children that are evocative of Toronto are eligible.
• There are no separate categories: novels, short story collections, books of poetry, books on history, politics and social issues, biographies, books about sports, children's and young adult books, graphic novels and photographic collections are judged together.
• The work should be accessible to a general reading audience (i.e., not written for a specialized or academic audience).
• Ebooks, textbooks, self-published works and ghostwritten works are not eligible.
• Reprinted material will be considered provided it is augmented by new, original work.
• Publish books based on an editorial selection process.
• Be committed to a sustained book publishing program, consisting of titles by a variety of authors.
• Pay royalties or financially compensate the author, illustrator or translator for any submitted title.
• Publish no more than 25% each year of works by owners, family or employees of the publishing house.
• Publishers must guarantee their author's participation in at least two of three official Toronto Book Awards events ( 2017 event dates TBD).
To be eligible for the 2017 Toronto Book Awards, books must be published between June 1, 2016 and May 31, 2017 (publishers may submit galleys in lieu of published books).
There are no entry forms to complete. Simply submit six copies of the book you consider eligible, along with your name, address, phone number and e-mail address to the Submission Contact as shown above. REQUIRED: Please include a brief description of how/why the book is evocative of Toronto.