Wellington Street Watermain Replacement & Streetcar Track Reconstruction
Planned start date: April 10, 2017
Planned End Date: October 27, 2017
NEW End Date: Mid-Late August 2017
Location: Wellington St From York Street To Church Street
UPDATE - June 9th
Partial Intersection Closure
@ Wellington & York Streets for
Streetcar Track Replacement
CLOSURE Start Date: 6:00 AM Thursday, June 8, 2017
CLOSURE End Date: 5:00 AM Thursday, June 15, 2017
- There will be ONE lane on Wellington Street in the south curb lane through the intersection of York Street
- NO TURNS will be permitted off of Wellington at Bay Street and York Street.
- Drivers / Deliveries can access parking garages off of Wellington. They can turn onto Wellington at Yonge Street
or further east, the earliest exit west of Yonge Street off Wellington Street is University Avenue.
- There will be no through access north of Wellington Street on York Street
- There will be two-way, local access only on York Street to businesses / parking garages south of King Street.
- Local access for deliveries and services east of York Street will be available north of Front Street by accessing Piper Line.
- The Green P and other garages on the west side of York will be available north of Front Street.
- Paid duty officers will be in place to direct and control traffic.
- The City's contractor will work around the clock to remove concrete and old track and then replace concrete and track in the intersection.
- Laneways and driveways that serve businesses will remain accessible for deliveries or service.
- There will be no parking or standing in the active work zones.
- Pedestrian access to businesses and walkways will be maintained during construction.
- Pedestrians will have to walk around the construction fencing in place around the work zone
- This closure will not affect TTC routes
UPDATE - May 26th
Partial Intersection Closure at Wellington & Bay Streets forWatermain Replacement, Streetcar Track Replacement
Closure START DATE: 7:00 pm Thursday, June 1, 2017
Closure END DATE: 5:00 am Monday, June 5,2 017
The contractor has completed the watermain installation from Church Street to York Street. It is now being flushed and tested before water service connections to buildings are installed on the new main.
The project has TWO scheduled closures at Bay Street and York Street to replace the TTC track / roadway within the intersections.
Starting May 29, TTC crews will be welding new track between Church and Scott Streets in the curb lane where the Watermain installation is complete.
7:00 PM Thursday, June 1 to 5:00 AM, Monday June 5
The first closure is four days and will take place at Bay Street and Wellington Street. Working 24/7 crews will break concrete, remove the old concrete and track, lay new concrete, replace track and restore the road (except top course asphalt, which will be laid at a later date).
Partial Intersection Closure:
- There will be ONE lane on Wellington Street in the north curb lane through the intersection of Bay Street (same as current traffic staging)
- There will be NO TURNS off of Wellington at Bay Street or York Street.
- Drivers / Deliveries can access parking garages off of Wellington. They can turn onto Wellington at Yonge Street or further east, the earliest exit west of Yonge Street off Wellington Street is University Avenue.
- There will be no through access north or south of Wellington Street on Bay Street
- Local access only on Bay Street to businesses / parking garages on Bay Street between King Street and Wellington Street and between Front Street and Wellington Street.
Paid duty officers will be around the intersection to help direct and control traffic.
UPDATE - May 19th
Work on Wellington Street is progressing well. The watermain between Bay Street and York Street will be installed next week, the contractor will then flush and test the watermain. There will be two intersection closures taking place in early June at Bay Street and York Street. Further details of these closures will be provided.
Description of Work:
- Replace sections of the watermain and complete connections to other existing watermains.
- Remove the existing streetcar track and reconstruct the westbound only track from just west of Yonge Street into the intersection at York Street. The streetcar overhead along this stretch has already been upgraded.
- Partially reconstruct sections of curb and sidewalk as well as completing streetscape work from York Street to Yonge Street.
- Restore the road area where watermain work was completed.
Traffic Restrictions: Traffic will be limited to one lane in each direction.
Extended & Overnight Hours: The work hours on this project are 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. with work on weekends if necessary. It will be necessary for excavation activities to extend to 11 p.m. during weekend work at some Wellington Street intersections, i.e. Bay Street and at York Street.
The TTC track reconstruction phase of this project will involve periods of late evening and overnight work. The overnight rail work by TTC may consist of moving new rail into position, rail installation and rail welding / grinding.
In addition, some streetcar overhead wiring work will be performed overnight, as required. After-hours work by TTC is required to support the daytime construction and complete the project as quickly as possible.
503 Kingston Rd streetcar route: buses are currently running on this route, and will maintain regular routing on Wellington Street through the work zone.
121 Fort York-Esplanade bus route: buses will maintain regular routing on Wellington Street through the work zone.
During the streetcar track work at the intersections of Wellington/York and at Wellington/Bay St., buses on the 503 Kingston Rd, 121 Fort York-Esplanade, 6 Bay and 72 Pape routes will be diverted around the closures.
visit www.ttc.ca for detailed transit information