The City of Toronto and Bridgepoint Health worked together to preserve a piece of Toronto’s history – the St. Matthews Lawn Bowling Club House.
The club house was built south of the Old Don Jail along Gerrard Street East. In 2010, the club house moved to the south end of Riverdale Park at Broadview Avenue, opposite Langley Avenue.
An archaeological discovery was made while selecting a location for the club house. The House of Refuge, sometimes referred to as the House of Industry – which stood on the site from 1859 to 1894 – was a trade school and was used as a hospital during smallpox outbreaks. The City conducted an archaeological survey in the spring of 2009 to record the history found at the site.
In 2013, the Club House became the home of the Toronto Parks and Trees Foundation.