More than 40 years ago, Toronto welcomed the world's first Business Improvement Area (BIA). Since then, dozens more BIAs have been created across the city, helping to advance Toronto's reputation as a city neighbourhoods.
The Good Neighbour Guide for Bars, Restaurants and Entertainment Venues outlines mandatory requirements and "good will" measures to help the bar and restaurant industry comply with regulations and operate in harmony with its residential neighbours. Find out more.
We want your opinion regarding the value of BIAs and their contribution to the well-being and livelihood of Toronto's neighbourhoods. Tell us where your BIA should be investing its resources and what additional supports the City should be providing to its BIAs.
We need your help! Please complete this brief survey.
Business Improvement Areas are good for business and neighbourhoods, according to a variety of Toronto-centred and international media outlets. Share your success story.
Connects main street businesses to the most innovative digital providers. Our team has selected trusted digital product and service providers for you to work with, who are offering the best deals exclusively when you sign-up Link: http://www.digitalmainstreet.ca/
- Toronto has over 80 BIAs that are a dynamic and influential part of the city's economic and cultural fabric.
- BIA members employ more than 400,000 people in full-time and part-time positions.
- Over 7.4 million people attend the more than 160 community events and street festivals supported and produced by BIAs throughout the year.
- For every public dollar the City invests towards BIAs, $10 in private sector funding for marketing, promotion, festivals and neighbourhood beautification projects is generated. In 2013, the City's $3-million investment resulted in $30 million in BIA spending.
- The world's first BIA was started in Toronto in 1970. Since then, this innovative public-private business partnership model has been copied internationally. Toronto continues to have the largest number of BIAs of any urban centre in the world.