North Toronto is located in the Don Valley at 21 Redway Road. The plant serves a Toronto area of approximately 3,060 hectares/7,569 acres and a population of 55,000.
The City of Toronto passed a bylaw in 1926 authorizing the construction of the sewage disposal plant to serve North Toronto, and the then municipalities of Leaside and Forest Hill, at an estimated cost of $1 million. It began operating on August 1, 1929.
North Toronto was one of the first plants in North America to use the biological activated sludge process. Wastewater exceeding plant capacity is diverted to the North Toronto Trunk sewer, then conveyed by gravity to the Ashbridges Bay Wastewater Treatment Plant via the Coxwell sanitary trunk sewer.
Fast facts about North Toronto
- Opened in 1929.
- Transferred to Metropolitan Toronto on January 1, 1954.
- Belongs to the City of Toronto as of 1998.
- Located on a 27-hectare/67-acre site.
- One of the first plants in North America to use the biological activated sludge process.
- Operates at a controlled uniform rate of 34,000 cubic metres/7.5 million gallons per day.
- Classified as a Class 3 facility by OME.
- Combined sewer outflows treated on site.