Only emergency and commercial service vehicles (e.g., utility, delivery, construction, etc.) that are properly identified are issued a vehicle permit and allowed passage to the Toronto Islands. You may only purchase vehicle permit tickets at the Ferry Terminal - Traffic Office Booth 1.
A vehicle authorization permit must be requested 48 hours prior to transporting any vehicle to the islands. Rounds trips must be completed between 9 am and 3:45 pm Monday through Friday. Vehicles must not remain in the park overnight or access the ferry Saturdays and Sundays without written permission from the Toronto Islands Parks Supervisor.
See Fares section for Vehicle Permit Rates. Any towed unit will be charged at the applicable current rates according to weight. The fare for the vehicle driver is included in the above permit fee. Passengers will be charged at the current rate.
The Director of Parks, Forestry and Recreation reserves the right to:
- cancel permission for reason of unfavourable weather or other hazardous conditions
- refuse any vehicle which by weight or dimensions exceeds the rated capacity of the vessel
Permission is also subject to the following conditions:
- Operations of the vehicle on Toronto Island shall be confined to asphalt roads.
- Boardwalk on the breakwater between Centre Island and Ward's Island shall not be used by the vehicle.
- Speed limit of 30 km/h (15 km/h in school zones) shall be observed at all times.
- Weight limit on all bridges as follows shall not exceed:
- Manitou bridge - 18 tonnes gross - any vehicle (18,000 kg)
- Algonquin bridge - 20 tonnes gross - any vehicle (20,000 kg)
- Olympic bridge - 10 tonnes gross 0 any vehicle (10,000 kg)
- Vehicle is insured against public liability and property damage equal to amounts as prescribed in the Insurance Act of Ontario.