The Assembly Hall was built in 1898 as part of the Mimico Lunatic Asylum. The hall was located on the northeast corner of the hospital grounds, at the corner of Lake Shore Boulevard West and Kipling Avenue.
The Asylum changed names repeatedly over the years, becoming the Mimico Hospital for the Insane in 1911, the Ontario Hospital, New Toronto in 1919 and finally renamed as the Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital.
Patient labour was used to construct the Assembly Hall and various other hospital buildings.Tthe hospital’s superintendent, Dr. Nelson Henry Beemer, was a strong believer in meaningful work as a form of rehabilitative therapy.
The Assembly Hall served as a place of recreation and worship for the patients, hospital staff and local residents. Weekly church services, dances and concerts all took place. Because there was no comparable facility in the area, the Assembly Hall was the principal gathering place for community events.
Be sure to read this one page backgrounder to learn more about our history.