Here is an easy way to pay your Toronto property taxes.
This voluntary program authorizes your financial institution to automatically withdraw your property tax payments from your account and forward them to the City of Toronto on the tax bill withdrawal dates.
You Choose the Plan
- We have three plans. Two, six, or eleven payments, it's your choice.
- You will no longer have to write cheques or stand in line on an instalment due date. Your financial institution will withdraw the payment on the withdrawal dates.
Easy to Budget
- Payment plans make it easier for you to budget each month.
- You will reduce your postage and cheque costs by providing authorization to automatically withdraw all of your tax payments from your account.
- You don't have to worry about lost or stolen cheques and your personal information is kept strictly confidential.
- You will always make your payment on time, even if you are out of town. You will avoid missed payments and any interest charges.
To qualify, all taxes must be paid in full.
This program authorizes your financial institution to automatically withdraw your property tax payments from your account and forward them to the City of Toronto on the withdrawal dates set for the 2-Instalment, 6-Instalment or the 11-Instalment Payment Plan.
You can enrol in the program at any time. If there are balances owing on your property tax account, you will be advised.
Once enrolled, you will receive written notification of your acceptance in the Pre-Authorized Tax Payment Program. The letter will outline your new payment withdrawal schedule. You should continue to pay your taxes through your regular payment method until you receive your confirmation of enrolment letter.
Once enrolled, other charges that are added to your tax account such as Supplementary/Omitted tax bills, utility charges, etc., cannot be paid through this program and must be paid by a separate payment.
If your application is received and is incomplete, we will return the form along with an explanation of why we were unable to process your application.
The Payment plans
Regardless of the plan you choose, payments are withdrawn from your financial institution account on the tax instalment withdrawal dates.
If you register for this plan, your property taxes will be paid each year by two withdrawals from your financial institution account; one instalment in March for the interim bill and one instalment in July for the final bill.
If you register for this plan, your property taxes will be paid each year by six withdrawals from your financial institution account; three instalments from March to May for the interim bill and three instalments from July to September for the final bill.
If you register for this plan, there will be 11 withdrawals from your financial institution account; five instalments from February to June for the interim bill and six instalments from July to December for the final bill.
You can enrol at any time on the Pre-Authorized Tax Payment Program. If you choose to send in post-dated cheques for your interim and final bill at the time you enrol, please make note of that on your application. We will then hold your application and enrol you on the program after the interim or final bill due dates have passes.
If you receive your acceptance letter in the program, and you did submit payments via post-dated cheques for the interim or final tax bill, and if those dates and amounts have been included in your acceptance letter, please contact our office immediately to advise a Customer Service Representative. We will make a request for a change to the schedule.
Complete the following steps to ensure you qualify:
Your property taxes must be in good standing to qualify for the program.
Read the Pre-Authorized Debit Agreement and complete all required fields on the application form including the appropriate check boxes, signatures and the full date year, month and day (YYYY-MM-DD). Return the signed form and include a void cheque or have your financial institution complete the account information section of the form.
If you are applying around the time of the interim or final property tax bill and you have sent post-dated cheques for the three due dates, please include a note with your application about your payments.
Mail your completed application and void cheque to:
Treasurer, City of Toronto
Box 2500, Terminal A
Toronto, ON M5W 1H2
*Please see our Tips on Faxing
You may remain in the program if all your property taxes remain in good standing. Supplementary/Omitted tax bills, utility bill or other charges added to the tax account cannot be paid through this program and must be paid by a separate payment.
If you own more than one property in the City, please complete one application per property.
- With each application, enclose a void cheque or a deposit slip with the name of your financial institution, transit number and account number.
- Please note: Line of credit accounts and credit card cheques cannot be used for pre-authorized payments.
- You may change your financial institution information or cancel your participation in the plan by providing signed written notice at least 15 days before the next payment date. If you are withdrawing from the program, you must immediately pay the outstanding balance in full to avoid interest charges. If you are changing your financial institution information, a new void cheque is required. Forms are available for changing financial institution information or cancelling the program.
- Once enrolled, you will automatically remain in the program until you send a signed, written request to withdraw or are removed from the program. You will be removed from the program if a payment does not clear through your financial institution, if you make or send duplicate payments, if you have an unpaid balance, or if there is an ownership change recorded for your property.
- This payment plan is not transferable to another property.
Visit our receipts page for more information.
If any of your pre-authorized payments do not clear through your financial institution account, the City will charge you an administrative fee and penalty/interest. Calculation of interest charges are based on the regular (6) instalment payment plan for all pre-authorized accounts. You will also be automatically removed from the pre-authorized program and returned to the regular instalment plan.
Any other charges that are added to your tax account (such as Supplementary/Omitted Tax Bills, utility bill charges, etc.) will not be deducted through the pre-authorized program and must be paid separately. If you do not pay other charges separately, you will be removed from the program and returned to the regular (6) instalment plan.
Please phone or Contact Us at one of our listed options.