What is child care fee subsidy?
Child care fee subsidy is financial assistance provided by the City of Toronto to help eligible families with the cost of licensed child care.
Who can apply?
Families with children up to 12 years old who meet the following criteria can apply.
- Your family lives in Toronto; is moving to Toronto or you are an employee of the City of Toronto.
- Each parent/guardian is employed, looking for work, in school or planning to go to school.
- Each parent/guardian has submitted their most recent Income Tax Return. If you are a new immigrant to Canada this year or if you are a teen parent, you may apply without your most recent Tax Return.
- If you or your child has a special need you can also apply – learn more.
How do I apply for a child care fee subsidy?
You can apply online for a fee subsidy or call 311 to apply by phone. There is a waiting list for fee subsidy so apply as soon as possible.
To apply, you will need:
- either the income on your most recent Canada Child Tax Benefit statement (CCTB) - Sample. To replace a CCTB statement, call Revenue Canada at 1-800-387-1193
your Revenue Canada, Notice of Assessment (NOA) or Notice of Reassessment - Sample. To replace a NOA call 1-800-959-8281.
- The names of three child care programs you are interested in. Parents should phone and visit each child care program to make sure it meets your family's needs.
What happens after I apply?
- Once you have applied, you will receive a letter letting you know if you are eligible to be placed on the City’s first-come first-served subsidy wait list. It is important to keep this letter as it confirms your waiting list date and your client file number.
- Contact all the centres you have chosen to express your interest and to let them know you are waiting for a vacancy.
- When your name comes to the top of the subsidy wait list, Toronto Children’s Services will contact you to come in to one of our offices to discuss your eligibility and your child care options.
- At the interview, if all eligibility criteria are met, you will officially be offered a fee subsidy and you will be given a period of time to find a child care program that has space available for your child(ren).