Applying for fee subsidy

Fee subsidy helps families in financial need with the cost of child care.

Important: To apply for fee subsidy, you must:

  • Live in Toronto, be moving to Toronto or be an employee of the City of Toronto.
  • Be employed, in school or in a training program. We will need your work/school phone number so have this ready.Even if you have not started work or school, you should still apply to get on the waiting list. If you or your child has a special need,you may also qualify – learn more.
  • File an income tax return and if you receive the Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB), you need the income on your most recent Canada Child Tax Benefit statement (CCTB) otherwise, you need your Revenue Canada Notice of Assessment (NOA) or Notice of Reassessment. To replace a CCTB statement, call Revenue Canada at 1-800-387-1193 or to replace a NOA call 1-800-959-8281.

    Note: If you are a new immigrant or a new resident to Canada, you may still apply before you have to file your first tax return.

    Use the fee subsidy calculator to estimate how much you will pay for child care.
  • Select a licensed child care program.

    Looking for child care page will help you select a program and make sure you look at the quality rating for each program you choose. Contact each program you are interested in and let them know you are applying for fee subsidy.

    Note: for some programs, you may have to pay a registration fee and/or a deposit.

IMPORTANT: You cannot use the online application to re-apply, change your address, phone number, child care choices or to add a new child to your application. Call 416-392-5437.

To apply for the first time, it will take about 10 minutes to complete the on-line application or call 311 to apply over the phone.

apply for fee subsidy

Back to: Families