Toronto emergency services
Toronto is one of the safest cities in North America thanks to the professionalism and dedication of our emergency service agencies.
Toronto Police Service
|Toronto Fire Services
4330 Dufferin Street
Toronto Emergency Medical Services
General inquiry: 416-392-4554
In an emergency call 9-1-1
In an emergency seconds count! When police, fire, or medical emergencies occur, call 9-1-1. Trained emergency call takers will provide you with the information and assistance you need.
When should you call 9-1-1?
Call 9-1-1 during any emergency where people or property are at risk.
What you should know when dialing 9-1-1
- at home, you can dial 9-1-1 direct
- at a business or other location, you may need to dial an outside line before dialing 9-1-1
- at a pay phone, dial 9-1-1, the call is free
- when using a cellular phone be prepared to give the exact location of the emergency, the call is free
- for TTY access (Telephone Device for the Deaf) press the spacebar announcer key repeatedly until a response is received
- if the caller does not speak English, they must stay on the line while the call taker contacts our telephone translations service.
What you can do to help 9-1-1 help you!
Remain calm and speak clearly. Identify which emergency service you require (police, fire, or ambulance) and be prepared to provide the following information:
- a description of what is happening
- the location
- your name, address and telephone number
Please remain on the line to provide additional information if requested to do so by the call taker.
DO NOT HANG UP UNTIL THE CALL TAKER TELLS YOU TO DO SO.
Remember, it is important to have your house numbers visible from the street. This will assist emergency personnel in finding you as quickly as possible.