Proclamation requests must be submitted in writing each year, on an organization's official letterhead, a minimum of four weeks before the event, using our online request form.
Proclamations are issued at the discretion of the City of Toronto.
Proclamations are ceremonial documents, signed by the Mayor and issued to organizations in Toronto for:
- public awareness campaigns
- charitable fundraising campaigns
- arts and cultural celebrations
Proclamations will not be issued for:
- matters of political controversy, ideological or religious beliefs or individual conviction
- events or organizations with no direct impact or connection to the City of Toronto
- campaigns or events contrary to City policies or by-laws
- National, Independence or Republic Days (please see flag-raisings for appropriate recognition)
- Campaigns intended for profit-making purposes
- An organization may request only one proclamation annually
- Proclamations are issued only to recognized organizations located in Toronto and not to individuals
- An organization does not have exclusive rights to the day, week or month of their proclamation
- Proclamations of a similar topic will be issued on a first come, first served basis
- Proclamations are not read aloud at meetings of City Council
- All proclamations are posted on this website
- One PDF copy of the proclamation will be issued to the requesting organization if it meets the City's requirements for issuing proclamations
When requesting a proclamation:
Please provide on your organization's letterhead:
- background information about your organization
- the event to be proclaimed
- and suggested wording of no more than 200 words
- Please note: new wording must be submitted each year
Requesters must clearly identify the significance and connection of the proclamation to the mandate and strategic goals of the City of Toronto.
- an organization can provide a link to their proclamation via the City of Toronto proclamation website
If you have any questions, please contact Protocol Services as shown above.
Should your event be of interest to the general public, please submit it to the City of Toronto Festival and Events Calendar/Database so we may help promote it: www.toronto.ca/eventcalendar